Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How low can I place wall cupboards above bench in laundry?

Karina2
Finding My Feet

How low can I place wall cupboards above bench in laundry?

IMG_1249.JPGIMG_1244.JPGIMG_1245.JPGLaundry is at end of hall - not a separate room. Has stone bench top with sink. Front loader washing machine under bench. It is only a small area so want to put up corner unit and another unit above bench. Cupboards 600mm and 900mm width = total 1500mm. Brick wall. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How low can I place wall cupboards above bench in laundry?

Hello @Karina2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your wall cabinets.

The regular gap between the benchtop and the bottom of the wall cabinets is 600mm, this is the general practice for spacing. Can you install the wall cabinets lower? Yes, you can, but the lower you put the wall cabinets the more they will get in the way when using your benchtop and you'll need to lean back when opening the doors of the larger cabinets. Just keep this in mind when you're thinking about lowering the wall cabinets any further. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Karina2 

Welcome :smile: to the Bunnings community page? pages? Well Lots of pages :smile: There are a load of laundry ideas in small space in here.

I am trying to visualize your laundry area.

Sink with a cupboard (600mm) and a washing machine (900mm) 

Stone benchtop.

Is this the width of the hall? (Any chance of a photo or two?)

You want a corner unit plus another unit above the bench. Is the corner unit going above the bench as well?

600mm height to the next cupboard above the bench is definently doable (you will need to find the studs in the wall to attach the cupboard to)

Having 900mm space to manouver in is needed, It would be a tight fit space wise if you have that corner unit on the floor somewhere. (might have what you want wrong in my head :smile: ) I have a gap of 500mm in my laundry for part of it and I keep catching myself on the edge of my bench.

Will wait for some pics and modify my ideas then.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Karina2 I'm actually assembling  laundry cabinets at the moment. Please find below the standard dimensions which I hope assists. As @EricL mentioned, around 600mm is a standard height, bit there is nothing stopping you from altering this to suit your needs. Making mockups out of cardboard boxes and sticking them to the wall might also help to give you a better understanding of the impact and what works best.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 10.38.39 PM.png

Brick wall not stud wall.

Thank you Nailbag for your photo with dimensions in.  The power point (top of) is 400mm high. I marked the wall under bulkhead at 62cm down which is also 60cm from bench top to that mark (it's in pencil so hard to see but roughly above handwash container). We have heavy duty fittings to fix to wall (as advised) as is into brick wall. 

Luckily is recessed so I wont hit my head or hip.  I appreciate your advice. I'll check again for further advice but thinking 500 -550mm may work for me. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects