Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shower leak?

HaruS
Finding My Feet

How to fix shower leak?

Hi,

I previously attempted to reseal my shower with silicone after some obvious signs of water leak. However, it appears that water is still leaking as seen from the video below. 

After doing some investigation, it appears that the water is coming in and exiting from this gap between the glass shower screen and metal frame. When I put some tap over this gap to "temporary seal it" when doing some testing, the water leak stopped. Am I meant to seal this gap? or am i missing something else. 

452366270_1013999546885287_294968735953499502_n.jpg

Also, this was the signs of water leak/damage that the previous owners did not addressed. Which I am trying to resolve by first resealing the shower.

451492610_421346867596592_1844107065528649414_n.jpg

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix shower leak?

Hello @harubeast 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your shower leak. 

The general assembly of a shower stall usually involves a rectangular "U" channel that acts a receiver for the return panel. Normally the panel slips in neatly into the channel and there is often no gap. However, in this instance a gap has appeared, I suggest using Selleys 300g Clear Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant to fill the gap between the aluminium frames. My best advice is to make sure the area is totally dry before you apply the silicone sealer.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HaruS
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric! really appreciate you help!

Would you recommend that I seal both inside and outside gap or just the inside is fine?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello again @HaruS

Yes, please seal both sides to make sure that the shower is totally secure. Please remember that the shower frame must be totally dry before you begin.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects