Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i remove a framed shower and reuse it?

Ilfordcurly
Just Starting Out

How do i remove a framed shower and reuse it?

my shower frame though old is in good condition and I want to keep it.

However the liner boards it’s sitting on are degraded and need replacing.

How do I remove the shower screen without damaging it? 
where the door is there are screws into the wall, but on the other side the glass sits in an aluminium u shaped frame, how is this attached? 

there appears to be some rivets holding this part together too.

Shower screenShower screen

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i remove a framed shower and reuse it?

Hello @Ilfordcurly 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your framed shower.

I propose doing a little bit of an investigation regarding your shower. Somewhere along the body of the shower assembly are screws or blind rivets that are keeping the shower together. If you can identify these points, you'll then have a starting point of where the shower needs to be disassembled first. If you have a step stool, I also suggest having a look at the top of your shower assembly as there could brackets at the top holding the panels together.

The "U" shaped frame you mentioned is often used for size adjustment and the shower panel theoretically sits inside that channel and is fixed with either screws, rivets or silicone. The installer would have taken a fair bit of effort to hide the fixing points to make your shower looks seamless, but rest assured those fixings are there. 

However, if it proves to be too difficult or troublesome, I propose engaging the services of a professional shower installer and asking them for a quote for disassembly. Please note that if your shower panels are made of glass, take extreme care as incorrect handling or accidental bumping or hitting can cause them to crack, shatter and cause injury.  

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Afternoon @Ilfordcurly 

My suggestion pretty much follows along the same lines as @EricL's

One way to look at the dismantling of the shower screen is imagine if you were putting it together.

All the chanels the glass sits on would be first installed.

The sliding doors would be seperate as they are put in last.

The panels on the left and right would need to be attached to each other so the easiest place to find a starting point would be the top corner facing the photographer.

Check out the top of the shower for either screws or rivets. If they are Rivets you will need to drill them out with a small drill. If you are unsure what size drill you need, take a look at the hole in the center of the rivet and use a drill bit just a little bigger then it. That way you wont overdrill the holes size.

Note - The sides and base may be silasticed to the wall and bottom area. 

Also once you start dismantling the shower you may find rust on the underside. I have noticed the paint peeling from similar shower stalls.

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ilfordcurly both @EricL and in particular @Dave-1 have pretty much outlined what you need to do. I have dismantled several shower screens like yours and reinstalled them. The frames as mentioned are riveted together so drilling those them out with a 5mm drill bit is required. You need to avoid drilling through them because you want to reuse the same holes at the same size. The frame will be fixed to the shower base with silicone and needs to be cut out with a sharp knife. The glass will be also siliconed in to the u-channel thats fixed to the wall with most likely screws into wall plugs or in to timber studs. Getting the glass out of the channels will be very difficult. I have always left them in and instead tried to pry the frame from between the wall. But it's just as challenging. Its going to be a hell of a task without causing some damage.

regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects