Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove a stuck shower arm?

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

How do I remove a stuck shower arm?

Hi All,  Any hints or tips on how to remove a stuck shower arm please?

I'm renovating my ensuite and the shower arm won't budge, the wrenches just slip around it no matter how tight they are.

Not worried about damaging the arm but I am worried about damage to the thread of the brass fitting coming out of the wall.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Shower Arm 01.jpgShower Arm 02.jpg

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: How do I remove a stuck shower arm?

Hi Stuardo,

Removing a stuck shower arm can be challenging, but here are some tips that should help:

Steps to Remove a Stuck Shower Arm:

Turn Off Water Supply: Ensure the water supply to the shower is turned off.

Protect the Shower Arm: Wrap a cloth or an old rag around the shower arm to protect it from scratches.

Use Penetrating Oil: Spray penetrating oil (such as WD-40) around the threads where the shower arm meets the wall. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes to penetrate and loosen any corrosion or mineral buildup.

Use the Right Wrench: Use a pipe wrench or an adjustable wrench for a better grip. Ensure the wrench is tightened securely around the shower arm.

Apply Heat: Use a hairdryer or a heat gun to apply heat to the area where the shower arm threads into the wall. The heat can expand the metal slightly, making it easier to loosen.

Gently Tap with a Hammer: Use a rubber mallet or the back of a wrench to gently tap the shower arm. This can help break any remaining seal.

Try Turning Again: After applying heat and tapping, try turning the shower arm counterclockwise again with the wrench.

Check the Cover Plate (Escutcheon): If the shower arm is still stuck, check if the cover plate is impeding removal. The cover plate might be glued or caulked to the wall. Use a utility knife to carefully cut around the edge of the cover plate to break any seal. Gently pry the cover plate away from the wall using a flathead screwdriver or a putty knife, protecting the wall with a cloth or cardboard.

Use Pliers for Extra Grip: If the wrench slips, use a pair of locking pliers (like Vise-Grips) to hold the shower arm firmly while turning it with the wrench.

Additional Tips: Be Patient: Take your time to avoid damaging the threads of the brass fitting coming out of the wall.

Use Proper Grip: Ensure a firm grip on both the shower arm and the wrench to avoid slipping and potential injury.

Consult Professional Help: If the shower arm is extremely tight and these methods don’t work, consider consulting a professional plumber to avoid damaging the plumbing.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

Goodluck,

Zee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Stuardo 

Thanks for sharing your question about your stuck shower arm. If your regular shifter is slipping, I suggest using a more robust tool such as the Trojan 350mm Pipe Wrench. I'm just letting you know that the pipe wrench will leave bite marks on the surface of the shower arm.

My best advice is to make sure that the wrench is sitting tightly and firmly on the arm before you start turning. If it still refuses to budge, I suggest engaging the services of a licensed plumber.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when you begin taking it apart.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice Zee.

The right tool is always important so I'm off to Bunnings for a pipe wrench and I'll spray some WD40 before I go.

I'll also try with the heat gun I have and let you know.

Cheers.

Stuart

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Eric, I'm off to Bunnings for a pipe wrench and will try the other suggestions too.

Cheers

Stuart

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects