Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry?

Thehomeboffin
Getting Established

How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry?

IMG_1809.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

  

Hi everyone, I’m hoping you can help me sort out a leaking tap. I just had a new washing machine connected and realised there is a leak in the cold water tap, prior to this it was never used so I was unaware. The connection from the machine to tap itself is fine, it’s coming from just behind the tap head and I believe it might be a busted o ring. Could this be an easy fix? I’m not sure exactly how to get the tap head off, I think it requires a little tool to go at the back and release it but not certain of the process. Images attached for reference. Any tips are much appreciated, thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I fix a leaking tapnin the laundry

Hi @Thehomeboffin,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'm not 100% certain about this one. Allow me to get in touch with some colleagues to see if they have any thoughts on the best way to fix this.

In the meantime, allow me to tag some of our helpful members who may be able to assist, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @robchin, @Noyade.

Thank you for your patience, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Jacob

Excellent, thanks so much @JacobZ 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thehomeboffin 

Thank you for your patience. Your tap handle appears to be a a modified version of the skirt handle set. It's either that or just a standard screw set with the screw hiding behind the blue cap cover.

I propose trying to lift the blue cap cover first. I suggest using a sharp flat blad screwdriver and see if you can lift the blue cap cover off. Another tool you can try is an icepick, see if you can lift the corner of the cover off. Once you have the cover off, you'll be able to determine what type of screw that was used to hold the handle in place.

The second method involves you holding the front of the handle in place and grabbing the "skirt" behind the handle and turning it anticlockwise. Please note not use extreme force when testing this method. The skirt should come loose with a moderate amount of force.

Once you figure out how to remove your handle, please have a look at this guide - How to replace a tap washer and have a look at step number five. It shows you how to replace the body O rings of the spindle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply, I tried step 1 and the blue cap comes off and revealed a flat surface behind it, so no screw.

Step 2 worked up until a point where I’m not sure how to remove the tap, I’ve attached a pic fore reference. Thanks for your help!

IMG_1812.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thehomeboffin 

You should be able to gently pull the handle off at this point. Move the skirt left and right until it loosens up and pull out. Let me know if you make any progress.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

I’ve tried to take it off and it still won’t budge, I’ve tried moving the skirt around and having no luck taking the tap off unfortunately.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thehomeboffin 

You are so close my friend, that handle is about to come off. I suggest screwing the skirt backwards and forwards as it is possible that it is just caught on some calcium deposits. It may take some time, but I suggest being patient and keep wiggling the handle off by playing with the skirt. The skirt should turn freely, and the handle will release itself.

You can also try screwing the handle off as it is now loose.

If it still refuses to budge, it might be time to call in a plumber to remove the assembly for you.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry

Hi @Thehomeboffin as @EricL mentioned you're so close to getting the handle off. Just need to put a bit more muscle into it. Use both hands holding on to two handle wings each and just keep jiggling it as much as possible as you keep pressure to the handle off. Just be ready for when it does.

If you really get stuck, you could simply replace the entire outlet with a new one, which I suspect you're going to have to do anyway. Turn the water off at the mains and then use a large shifter to remove the tap anti-clockwise after disconnecting the washing machine of course. Then clean all the old Teflon tape off the thread.

Now wrap teflon tape 6-8 times clockwise and put the new tap on firmly. If it's not straight, don't unwind it to any extend as this cuts the teflon tape and you will have to start again. It might take a couple of goes of using more or less tape. This pink tape is thicker than the standard white so you don't need to wind as much on. Before hooking up the machine turn the mains on and check for leaks at the thread. If none, your good to go.

Regards, Nailbag.

Re: How do I fix a leaking tap in the laundry

Hey @Nailbag @EricL and @JacobZ  thanks for the encouragement. The tap head has now come off! 

Any tips on what to do next to access the spindle / o-ring? I didn’t expect to find the plastic piece.

Thanks! 

IMG_5634.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects