Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I get rid of bathroom mould?

tadams
Just Starting Out

How can I get rid of bathroom mould?

IMG_0118.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0120.jpeg

  

IMG_0113.jpeg

hi all, we moved into this townhouse a year and a half ago and have been dealing with mold mainly in the corners where the silicone is deteriorating. It’s been very poorly built bathroom with half the silicone missing. It’s progressed now to pink mold between the glass of the shower and the silicone(not sure the name). I wanted to remove the silicone from the shower and kill the mold in the corners and reseal but I don’t know if this is the best idea or how to remove the pink mold. There are screws holding the glass and frame in place would I need to remove that? We are renting and having a baby so want to get on top of this. We’ve used vinegar and soaked rags against the mold and hydrogen peroxide on different occasions. We’ve tried dishwashing liquid, baking soda etc. we try to use lower tox products to not cause harm to ourselves or unborn child so any ideas on how to fix this would be very much appreciated. It’s in both showers (one we don’t use) 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I get rid of bathroom mould?

Hi @tadams,

Using products such as 30 Seconds 1L Mould Off is little to no concern, provided the safety instructions are followed and the work area is well-ventilated. When my wife is pregnant, I'll use these types of products myself when she is not in the home and then well-ventilate the area before she returns.

If the mould is embedded in the silicone and can't be cleaned, then the silicone can be cut out and replaced with new mould-resistant silicone sealant. This sealant remover tool comes in handy. Here's a helpful guide on How to apply silicone sealant. However, since this is a rental property, I would encourage you to reach out to your property manager to see if they can organise someone to complete this work. Also, I would recommend you go removing any screws to the shower frame as the glass panels in them can shatter very easily.

When working around glass or with chemical cleaners, remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, long-sleeved shirt, trousers, cut-resistant gloves and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects