Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I fix a cistern overflow?

Sofia26
Getting Established

Can I fix a cistern overflow?

I have overflowing cistern, can I do something about it without needing to call a plumber

Sofia26
Getting Established

Toilet Cistern

Our toilet cistern is old and leaking. Tried to change the washer but couldn't find the right one. Can I just change the entire cistern. What do I need to consider? I have attached photos of the old one and attaching a picture of one that I saw at the store. Can someone advise if this would fit ? Or any advice would be useful. 

Thanks 

IMG_20240630_170146.jpg

IMG-f8a532e1e5e8fe44c1b8147c01f90c3a-V.jpg

  Trying to see if this will fit 

IMG20240630120639.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cistern Overflow

Hi @Sofia26,

Can you provide a few more details on the situation so our members can better understand how they can assist? When you say that the cistern is overflowing, is that going into the pan or out the top of the cistern and onto the floor? 

The part from your toilet that you've shown is the outlet valve. What you had in your trolley is an inlet valve. Depending on what is broken, the outlet or inlet valve might need replacing. They have similar symptoms of water leaking into the pan.

Here's a helpful guide that explains how to troubleshoot the issue and determine what needs to be replaced: How to fix a leaking toilet.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects