Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my new Toilet S trap pipe too small?

joshs
Finding My Feet

Is my new Toilet S trap pipe too small?

Hi Bunnings community, 

I have a new toilet and when I place the end of the strap pipe over the drain and pan collar, the toilet doesn’t fit snug and the toilet rocks back and forth, any suggestions? I measured the end of the old toilet pipe and it was about 15mm bigger than my new one 

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

joshs
Finding My Feet

Re: New Toilet S trap pipe too small?

Ok so I removed the connector and rubber, and the other piece was extremely hard to get off, it slips over the sewage pipe. I have got most of it off and am still going. But ive now realised that the 100mm hollman pan connector does not reach the sewage pipe. Do I need a 100mm coupling?

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New Toilet S trap pipe too small?

Hi @joshs,

Unfortunately, a coupler won't work as although it will slip over the waste pipe, it is the same size as the collar fitting. The collar's fitting is designed to slip over the 100m pipe, just the same as a coupler does. There's not really an easy way to address that. A plumber would likely access the pipe, cut it back and add a new section of 100mm pipe that finishes at the correct height for the collar. Alternatively, they might cut a coupler down to around 40mm, glue it on to your 100mm pipe and then glue a short section of 100mm pipe into that. The problem is, you don't have enough height to put a coupler in there and then a short section of pipe for the collar to be pushed onto.

You might want to check that old collar. The rubber gaskets are typically replaceable, and you might be able to install the new rubber gasket in it.

Remember that this is considered plumbing and needs to be carried out by a licensed professional.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects