Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

paint tints not the right colours

kgr
Community Newcomer

paint tints not the right colours

Has anyone else had major issues with colours not being right based on 2 factors

1: whether you choose taubmans, British paint or dulux and 

2: wall colour. 

I purchased a paint sample and put it on a cream wall and a white wall to see the colour and they are totally different colours. 

Also purchased a 20lt external paint which turned out to be way more blue than it was meant to and was told, after the fact that if you buy taubmans or British paint for a colourbond paint they will generally not match the dulux paint colour. 

I wanted a grey and ended up with blue. 

The 2 attached photos are the same colour paint in 2 different walls. 

Never have i ever had this issue with painting different coloured walls. 

1000000623.jpg

1000000624.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint tints not the right colours

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kgr. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint colours.

As someone who has spent many years mixing paint, I’d love to offer some advice.

While paint colours can be transferred between brands and are often a close match, it’s best to stick with the same brand when you’re trying to exactly replicate a colour. For instance, if you originally used Dulux Hog Bristle in a Taubmans base, it’s a good idea to mix it in Taubmans again to ensure consistency. Switching between brands can sometimes result in subtle differences.

Even though the colour itself stays the same, how it appears can vary depending on its surroundings. Colours can look dramatically different based on the other colours nearby. This is something I’ve seen firsthand—it can be surprising how the same shade looks different in different settings.

Take a look at how the two browns, which are exactly the same colour, appear different due to the surrounding colours. It's absolutely mind-boggling, and I could not believe it the first time I saw it. You'll note I've sampled the colours and dragged them out to the side so you can see they are exactly the same. On the cube, they look orange and brown.

This can happen in your home, and it only takes some brightly coloured furniture to achieve this effect. It's one of the reasons for thinking you have any incorrectly mixed colour. Don't get me wrong; we're human, too, and do mix colours incorrectly. However, I've heard that since my day, we've been mixing colours in computer-controlled machines. Almost gone are the days of using tinting machines by hand.

Taking a look at your paint on different walls, you'll see how the colours look different again when I remove them from the surroundings.

In this circumstance, I would suggest that it is bleed through from the underlying colour that is making it look quite different as well as the surrounding colours. You'll see that the colours, despite the differences induced through a camera, are actually quite similar, and I can blend them together so well that the transition is almost imperceivable. All I've done below is smear them together.

In your case, it’s possible that the difference you’re seeing is due to the underlying colour bleeding through, or simply the influence of surrounding elements. But if you find that the colours are still noticeably off, don’t hesitate to reach out to the store for a remix. They should be happy to assist, especially if they didn’t inform you about potential inconsistencies between brands.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects