Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which quote from electricity providers is better?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Which quote from electricity providers is better?

Hi guys, good day. I have received quotes from two electricity providers, OVO and Origin.  I have a solar panel at my house. Please share your thoughts on which one is better. Thanks in advance.

Ivan

c5c0e744-ebf2-4855-a283-c2274ecd3b16.jpg

Origin quote.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which quote from electricity providers is better?

Hi @ivanptr,

I imagine which quote is better depends on your household's energy use. 

Let me tag some of our experienced community members for their thoughts: @CSParnell@MikeTNZ@Walzz 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Amassing an Audience

Hi ivanptr..

I'm going through the same thing at the moment..trying to find a decent plan for electricity and solar...

After doing some research I found that one of the most important thing to look for is what percentage the plan is below the reference level..

The other important thing is how much is the Peak c/kWh.

If that Origin Go Variable plan's General Usage at 28.85 c/kWh. is there peak charge rate for the whole plan, then that is a very good rate..

The other charges like Daily Supply Charge and Solar feed in tariff are not quite so important as I was surprised to discover recently..

On my  monthly plan..The Daily Supply Charge has just gone from 78.0 c /day to 131 c/day.!! I was shocked..but when I made the calculation I discovered that it only added 15.00 to the bill.!!!

Same with the Solar Feed In Tariff..That dropped from 6.0c ( pretty poor) down to 4.5c.! the difference being only 4.00 added to the bill..

The OVO Plans look very good.. The OVO One plan is an amazing 22% below reference level.!!! The monthly charge is very good also..

Feed in rate is a bit low ( like mine) but I wouldn't be too concerned about it..

Looking at all the OVO rates..I might even change my current supplier over to them.!!

Prof...

Thank you so much @Prof for the alert. Ok we will definitely focus on comparing peak rate !

Prof
Amassing an Audience

One of the best Peak c/kWh rates I've found is from Energy Locals.!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr 

Just to add to the @Prof's suggestion, I recommend you carefully review contract terms, focusing on the length of the agreement, potential early termination fees, and how rates might change over time. Be wary of any exit fees that could penalize you for switching providers prematurely. 

Assess the provider’s service quality and reputation, ensuring reliable support for billing or technical issues. Transparent billing is crucial; ensure that the bills distinctly separate your grid consumption from solar generation, allowing you to clearly see your savings.

Compatibility with your existing solar system is essential. Confirm that the provider’s plan aligns with your system and any associated battery storage you might have. If available, consider providers who offer smart energy management systems to optimize your solar usage. 

Evaluate additional services like battery storage integration, where providers may offer better rates or incentives for stored energy and look for any maintenance or monitoring services for your solar system.

Finally, be cautious with promotional offers. While sign-up bonuses or bundling discounts (like combining electricity with gas or internet services) can provide immediate benefits, ensure that these incentives don’t overshadow long-term costs and benefits. 

Regularly monitoring your solar system's performance and staying updated on regulatory changes can help you adapt to new opportunities and maintain the best possible returns on your solar investment.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects