Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint stripper for aluminium door frames?

nika
Getting Established

What paint stripper for aluminium door frames?

IMG_8782.png

Hi 

I will be re painting my aluminium door frames but want to strip them back to bare metal first and then will be using dulux all metal primer. Its currently painted with water base paint. What would be the best paint stripper to use to minimise sanding. 

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint stripper

Hi @nika,

I'd try to avoid using paint stripper as much as possible; it's messy stuff. The best of the bunch is likely Poly 1L Polystrippa Paint Stripper, but you need to ventilate the area well by opening windows and running some fans. Also, a respirator wouldn't be a bad idea.

I understand you want to remove the current paint, though the other option is to sand the damaged areas to smooth them, lightly sand the gloss on the rest of the frame, undercoat with Dulux Precision Primer and then topcoat.

If you feel the current paint is of terrible quality, it could be worth removing it entirely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nika
Getting Established

Hi mitch.

thanks for the info. 

can i ask what is the difference between the dulux precision primer and the dulux all metal primer? 

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest using the Precision if you aren't going to remove all the paint, @nika. If you're taking it all back to metal (one heck of a job, especially on multiple frames), I'd go with the All Metal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects