Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What method and product should i use to re-seal MDF/particle board floor?

emily68
Just Starting Out

What method and product should i use to re-seal MDF/particle board floor?

5EA85267-F333-434D-883F-85C6CB05C6D7.jpeg

5B7FA2F5-FF51-46D1-9C2B-EEAC84060D45.jpeg

We have just bought a house with MDF / particle board flooring in the dining and living room. There is some visible degradation of the sealed finish, particularly near the door where there is the most foot traffic and moisture exposure. We want to re-seal the worst areas without having to completely sand the entire flooring area, if possible. What is the recommended method to achieve the best visual and protective finish, and what sealing products will achieve this? Ideally, we’d like to achieve the same colour/finish as that shown in the photos. Thanks for your help in advance! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What method and product should i use to re-seal MDF/particle board floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @emily68. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating flooring.

I can't imagine you're going to be able to do a spot repair in just that area. To do that, you'd need to know what product was applied as a coating previously. Products like Cabot's 4L Water Based Matt CFP Floor only require you to sand the damaged areas and allow you to coat over the others without sanding. So, that sounds like the best solution, but you'll need to coat the whole floor.

I'd recommend you do a test section in an unconsciously location to be sure this products meets your needs and expectations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects