Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What colours should I paint my barn door?

GwenH
Getting Established

What colours should I paint my barn door?

Hello everyone!

I could use some brainstorm help regarding the aesthetics of my new homemade barn door. 

I'm thinking of having the back a different colour to the sides and slats. Or even a wallpaper/printed vinyl on the back. I'm overwhelmed by the millions of options so thought I'd come here for some help 🙃.

IMG20240615173543.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What colours should I paint my barn door?

Hello @GwenH 

Thank you for sharing your question about what colours to use on your barn door, which by the way I think looks fantastic.

Colour choice I believe is very personal, what I think looks great might not look the same to you. Neutral colours such as whites, beige and greys are often used to blend an object into an existing set. Loud colours such as red, yellows and bright greens are applied to call attention. The dark colours of course are applied to reduce the overall brightness of an area.

Leaving the door in its natural timber state and putting a clearcoat is a technique used to enhance the natural materials and appliances around it. Colour matching means that you paint the door close to the colours of the appliances or the wall to make it blend in.

Painting it in a non-standard colour with wall-paper highlights means that you want it to stand out as a feature in the room. If you feel that you want your door to stand out and get noticed, then that is what you should go for. The best part about a sliding timber door is that you can sand it down and start all over again after a few seasons.

Let me call on our experienced members @RenoRach1 @redbournreno and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job on the barn door @GwenH.

Just thought I'd add to Eric's reply that you might get some inspiration for colours from our collection of barn door ideas for your home from other Bunnings Workshop community members.

My personal preference would be to go with one colour like the MDF barn door with diagonal pattern by @LePallet.

I am looking forward to seeing other suggestions. Let me also tag @Renowayoflife@mattoharae and @lifestylebymari to see if they can add to the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

HI @GwenH , That it a great looking door 😍.

Colours are hard to give advice on without more info about your style and the other design features and colours in your home.

Personally, I would prefer all one colour, and then the diagonal moulding is the feature.  

But if you want to go colourful and dramatic, then putting a patterned wallpaper in the receding part would look amazing, perhaps one with a deeper or darker colour than the paint colour you use for the moulding and frame. There is a world pf choice at your fingertips there. That is a nice blue for the boxes you have alongside the door, you could use that for inspiration.

Best of luck and send us a photo when you have decided!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects