Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upgraded entry using Flexi Storage Clever Cubes

LillyJ
Getting Established

Upgraded entry using Flexi Storage Clever Cubes

Our existing entry had a cupboard to store shoes, and a hook on the back of the door for coats, it drove me crazy that we had to sit on the floor to put our shoes on, especially with young kids. I had been designing the layout for the upgrade for quite a long time but didn't quite have the skills to build the drawers and cupboards myself. I saw a Transform Small Spaces article in Bunnings' magazine. I used some of the hacks listed there and voila!

Steps

Step 1

1. Empty Space
LillysEntrybefore1.pngLillysEntryBefore.png

Step 2

2. Paint all walls. I repainted the walls to freshen them up. The colour is Dulux Muriwai half.

Step 3

3. Wallpaper
This was the first time I had wallpapered. This was also the most expensive part of the makeover so I was pretty nervous. The pattern repeat was quite big, I discovered after I papered the first drop. There were two and a half drops in total. I found it both harder and easier than imagined; harder because I did not have the correct tools (big brush, large bench, sharp craft knife) it was easier than I imagined to apply and manoeuvre to get the join and pattern aligned. Overall super happy with the wallpaper!

Step 4

4. Paint all flatpack parts.
The Bunnings 'hack' I had read about in the Autumn magazine said to use Dulux Aquanamel which I purchased in Muriwai Half to match the walls. It didn't mention primer! So after sanding, I applied a coat which of course didn't adhere at all. Fortunately, I had a bucket of primer from a previous paint job.
I did three coats of Primer and three of the Aquanamel.

4a. Assemble the flatpacks and put them in place.

I think this one is self-explanatory. I did have a parts failure, one of the drawers had two left runners instead of a left and right. Since I'd already painted the drawers I couldn't take them back for a return :unhappy:

Step 5

5. Re-upholster cushion cover
I took apart the cushion I had purchased from Bunnings. using it as a pattern I cut out my Tropicana fabric. I used the original piping and zipper. It turned out pretty well.

Step 6

6. Cut benchtop to length and affix to wall
I'm good at cutting things straight even with a hand saw, It's my secret superpower. So cutting the benchtop was smooth sailing. I used some masking tape to stop frayed edges.

Step 7

7. Put upper storage on top of the bench and affix it to the wall
I used the brackets that come with the flatpack to attach the cupboard to the wall.

Step 8

8. Create space for extra cupboard. The space was longer than the standard storage cube, so I added an extra cupboard. I purchased an extra cupboard insert. I used the end piece as the base so the cupboard would be the same height off the ground as the others. There is a join but it's not really noticeable. I used the extra shelf from the open cupboard to be the last divider.

Step 9

9. Skirting, and corner cap. The corner of the existing cupboard kept getting banged up with high traffic, so I replaced it. I added skirting to the edge of the open cupboard that sits on top of the bench. 

Step 10

10. Paint all skirting and doors, and make a cover for the power box.
The doors and white skirting needed a spruce up.

I wanted to hide the unsightly power box. I made a box using a 4.5mm mdf sheet. I ended up using paper tape and wood glue.LillysEntry2.pngLillysEntry3.pngLillysEntry4.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Upgraded entry using Flexi Storage Clever Cubes

So great to get your entryway tidy and free of clutter @LillyJ. It looks terrific. I'm sure your handiwork will inspire others. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. You'll find lots of like-minded people passionate about sharing home improvement projects and helpful advice. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects