Workshop
Ask a question

How to install tiles with grain?

Lee777
Growing in Experience

How to install tiles with grain?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at laying the below tile in my living room.

Duratile 60 x 60cm 1.08m² Grey Marble Gloss Porcelain Tile - 3 Carton - Bunnings Australia

Is there a procedure for selecting each tile when laying, specifically the grain in each tile, and direction of grain?

Further, does Bunnings Workshop have publications on creating tile plans, selection of notched trowels and spacers for 600x600 floor tiles, and laying of floor tiles?

Thanks,

Lee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile Grain

Hello @Lee777 

The Duratile 60 x 60cm 1.08m² Grey Marble Gloss Porcelain Tile comes with a default configuration and that is at an angle going from left to right. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how they are usually arranged. 

When you open the tile box, I propose laying them out first to make sure that the tiles are all facing in the same direction before you lay them down permanently.

Now it is possible to mix and match the pattern, but this will be up to you how you want the layout to go. You can do a bit of experimenting, just keep in mind that your pattern must cover the entire flooring area.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

In regards to the tools, I suggest using QEP 10mm Square Notch Handyman Adhesive Trowel and the QEP Lash Tile Levelling Clips. This time saving system helps adjust the height of the tiles and evenly holds their edges throughout the curing process of the setting material, so you can achieve a professional finish.

My best advice is to calculate the area you are covering and adding one extra box to your purchase for errors and damage. 

If you need further assistance. please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lee777
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric,

That is very helpful.

Lee777
Growing in Experience

Eric,

Does this tile require to be laid from the same batch number? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lee777,

Generally speaking, it's best to use tiles that are all from the same batch and these tiles are no exception.

This is because there can be slight variations in colour between batches.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects