Workshop
Ask a question

How to block entry points for pests?

nonamehaha
Just Starting Out

How to block entry points for pests?

Hello,

I am now trying to fix some issues in my new property.

1, Under the exterior plasterboard, there is a pipe (I am not sure what is this for) under the plasterboard, is it possible to blocking it or installing something like mesh screen to blocking the entry point for small animals like possum or rat?

IMG_0878.jpg

2. There is a missing timber / glass above the window, which making a big gap, great to have some suggestion of material suitable for exterior to block it.

IMG_0877.jpg

Thank you.

stackhat
Cultivating a Following

Re: Need some idea of blocking entry point for small animals

First photo is the overflow pipe from the header tank in your ceiling. It’s part of a gravity fed hot water system. It’s redundant and can be sealed or covered if a mains pressure system has been installed. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need some idea of blocking entry point for small animals

Hi @nonamehaha,

Thank you for your question about covering some gaps at your home to prevent animals from entering.

It's great to see you've had some advice from @stackhat, who I believe is correct. It may still be worth having a plumber come out to double-check that it is no longer serving a purpose.

I'd suggest using Saxon 90cm x 2m Bird Wire Netting to cover both of these gaps as it is easy to cut, malleable to bend over the pipe and galvanised so it can get wet.

It can be cut to size using Craftright 250mm Straight Cut Aviation Snips and fixed in place with Zenith 8G x 15mm Galvanised Button Head Stitching Timber Screws.

This will create a cover to prevent animals from entering while still allowing airflow and drainage.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects