Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Limewash, paint or render the brick house?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Limewash, paint or render the brick house?

Hi so we originally planned to remove the garage door and asked the builder to enclose the garage with same style of brick and window:

signal-2023-08-25-02-23-59-369.jpg

Then we will just paint the brickwork to modernise the house. 

But after some research, we have found some contradicting comments about painting the brick wall / brickwork. Some theories suggest its bad to paint the brick :

signal-2023-08-25-02-34-40-144.jpg

Another theory against painting:

Any moisture trapped inside the wall will begin to erode the brick, wearing it down over time.

While some articles dont suggest rendering :

signal-2023-08-25-02-42-42-156.jpg

Another criticism against rendering:

https://www.domain.com.au/advice/why-you-shouldnt-render-your-brick-home-20160803-gqk4u4/

Overwhelmed by too much information, we are totally clueless which way is better.

If it is better to render, then we need to ask the draftsperson to change the plan and instruct the builder just to use plasterboard to enclose the garage because it will be rendered anyway. Probably save money on new brickwork. (But it seems high cost to render)

On the other hand, if its better to paint, then we dont need to change our drawing plans, but we need to learn how to paint the brickwork properly ourselves, to avoid casuing erosion / gradual damage to the brickwork .

3rd Option is Limewash.

It seems also a good option :

signal-2023-08-25-04-31-20-691.jpg

With limewash, we can stick to our old drawing plan while dont hv to worry about breathability. (its an old house its not easy to know if there is moisture affecting the exterior brick wall from inside.)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Limewash, paint or render the brick house?

Hi @ivanptr,

Like most things in life, you'll find people who are for and against them. Can you paint a room blue? Yes!-Painting a wall blue is a great idea as it can introduce a sense of tranquility and depth, evoke a calming atmosphere, and serve as a versatile backdrop for various décor styles and colour combinations. NO!-Absolutely not; painting a wall blue is a terrible idea – it's a colour that brings down the energy of a room, lacks warmth, and often clashes with other elements in the space. 

So, as with the colour blue, you'll find differing opinions on the coating bricks subject. I will say that if there is an existing moisture issue in the wall, then this is where the debate sways heavily to the needing a breathable coating side. Do not paint a brick wall that has moisture issues, that's just leading to trouble. However, a similar thing could be said for render. It's not advised to render a wall with a moisture issue. Render is more breathable than paint but it's still not a good idea. Given your concerns about breathability and moisture, limewash could be a good compromise between painting and rendering. It provides a distinct finish and allows for some breathability, potentially reducing the risk of moisture-related problems.

You might like to check out this discussion: How to paint brick house properly?

If there is a possibility of trapped moisture, then I'd recommend you have the walls assessed by a professional before committing to any coating.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ivanptr,

Before starting work on the renovation of a typical 1980s suburban Australian home, the Make It Happen team had a tough choice with what to do with the exterior. So a poll was conducted asking Australians what they would do with the home's facade. 51% of Australians said the facade should be rendered, and 49% said cladding. It was a close one! The team ended up choosing cladding, and you can see the results here - House facade and garden renovation of dated home.

Jason

@MitchellMc , We have decided to limewash the exterior brick wall of our house. 

Trying to use this project as reference:
https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Limewash-brick-house/m-p/163978

Some questions tho:
1. What cleaning product would you suggest ? This is an old brick house - some bricks are even chipped , is there any safe non-corrosive product we can use to clean the house before lime-washing.

2. Which hydrated lime product would you recommend? And what is the best concentration ratio to start with?

There is a news article:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/diy/mums-10-bunnings-house-transformation-shocks/news-story/7...

“I just added one litre of water to three cups of lime and then painted it on,” she explained. At first, I noticed it was clear and so kept painting more on and once it dried, I realised it was too thick, so I just wiped some off with a sponge as I went on. It still had a thicker look which Jodie ended up leaving as she said it was at the back of the house and not fully visible."

It seems very important to get the right ratio of lime and water, and if it is too dense / thick, the result will be irreversible..

The steps seem pretty simple: 

1) Clean and prep the brick surface -> 2) Mixing lime and water -> 3) Paint it with fence brush

Want to start this painting project this week. Thanks for any advice! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr 

I suggest using a pressure washer to clean your brick wall, this will remove any dirt and debris that might be stuck on the surface of the wall. 

In regards to the hydrated lime, I suggest using Dingo 20kg Hydrated Lime for whitewashing. I suggest starting with 500ml of water in a bucket and one cup of hydrated lime. Mix them well and add more water or lime to get the consistency of paint. Make sure to remember the amount you add so that you can repeat your mix. If you mix it too thick it will turn into putty which is something you want to avoid.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

@EricL after pressure washing , do we need to wait and let it dry out before limewashing? 

Is one cup of lime equal to 250 ml ? Or should be less, around 150 - 200ml ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr 

Yes, please make sure that the wall is completely dry before you begin whitewashing the wall. One cup is typically 250ml, but as I mentioned your aim is to get to the consistency of paint. If it's too thick, it will clump together and you won't be able to spread it. Once you've mixed your first batch, I suggest testing it in a hidden corner of the house.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Hi @EricL 

We tested with different concentration of lime, and in the end we end up choosing full white with thicker lime😂

dont know why full white seemed to look better than semi transparent on our brick

probably because the bricks are already too old and have tiny cracks and they are chipped, and when we did 3rd coat (thicker) , it filled up the crack and give the brick a smooth finish looking new.

work in progress:

20230926_163052.jpg

Question:

1) what color of paint do u think we should use for the verandah timber posts to complement the white brick wall😂

Any paint product u recommend which can act as a protective layer for timber ?

2) do u think its cool to paint the outer frame of the gutter too ? its metal though not sure if the paint can last

3) what product can be used to paint downpipe?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr 

Your wall looks fantastic, can I please request for a closer picture of the wall, I'm sure our members would be keen to see what the limewash looks like. What formula of lime and water did you end up using? 

In regards to the timber post, I suggest painting it an off white so that it complements the limewashed bricks. A small amount of contrast will be perfect for the front of the house. If you're keen on painting the gutter a light neutral grey colour would be nice, its easy on the eye and frames the roof of the house when seen from a distance. As for the down pipes, I suggest having a look at our best advice - How do you paint PVC downpipes?     

I suggest looking at either Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof products. These are self-priming paint and are designed to go on most surfaces.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

20230928_144704.jpg

First coat,  1:0.7 (water: lime) , we used ozito paint sprayer because the brick wall is quite old , both grout and bricks dont have a smooth surface , its extremely difficult to paint over those chips and crack with brush.

(we did a building inspection tho.. its just the age of house instead of structural issues)

After first coat, we might do 2nd coat depending on the how well the lime water penetrate all the cracks to cover its original red color

Third coat - we used brush, ratio is 1:1 , thicker lime to fill up all the crack smoothen out the surface

One good thing we discovered about lime is, if u want it look more transparent on ur brick and less condense, u just need more water , a brush and a towel to erase it - very flexible lol unlike paint.

Another thing is, u can be less careful to tape all the trim / edges 😂 if the window is metal framed because its very easy to clean powdery lime off the metal or plastic

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects