Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop roof valley over flowing corner of gutter?

Triggy
Getting Established

How to stop roof valley over flowing corner of gutter?

I've got a long roof valley on my home and when it rains heavy it over flows the corner of the gutter which is digs out the dirt in my lawn and ends up creating a bare patch unsure what best fix would for this. I have 1/4 round gutters with overflow slits

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop roof valley over flowing corner of gutter

Hi @Triggy,

Have you got any photos that you could upload to show the issue? It would help our members to visualise the problem and help come up with a solution.

To me, it sounds like the perfect place to put a downpipe that is then connected to your stormwater outlet. Is there any reason this wouldn't be possible?

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @JoeAzza.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'd be happy to help.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to stop roof valley over flowing corner of gutter?

Good Afternoon @Triggy 

Depending on where you live the downpipes should be connected to the stormwater pipes. 

Without any photos it is hard to suggest anything. However If you had a shallow round rocks landing strip that heads away from your wall to direct the water flow it could stop that gouging you are talking about. Will wait for some photos of the overall area and have a think of other ideas :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to stop roof valley over flowing corner of gutter?

Hi @Triggy without photos its a little harder to advise, but as both @JacobZ and @Dave-1 have mentioned, a downpipes connected to the stormwater system will be required. Though, you can connect your own downpipes, the connection to the stormwater system will need to be done by a licensed plumber. If it was me, I would get the plumber to complete the full job, as it may require alterations to the existing guttering to assist coping with downpours.

regards, Nailbag.

Triggy
Getting Established

1000009099.jpg

1000009100.jpg

Sorry for delayed reply, here's a couple of photos of what's going on. I've watched it last couple good downpours and it's not actually over flowing the water is coming down at some speed and coming out of first couple of slots on gutter. I've put some 100 mile tape over first couple slots to see if it sorts it and if so will seal them up with something bit more perment.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Triggy these slots in the top of the guttering are to allow water to escape through and to prevent the possibility of it overflowing on the other side into your eves and roof space and down your internal walls. So first job is to take the tape off. 

There are potentially 3 issues. Firstly not enough fall towards the downpipe/s and secondly and maybe as well not enough downpipes to cope with the volume of water from the roof. The 3rd is there is a blockage cause the water to back up. Check the opening to any down pipes from the gutter that they are clear. Run a hose on full down each downpipes for several minutes to see if water rises which indicates a blockage. So, your next job is to call a local plumber and assess the situation and rectify.

Regards, Nailbag

Triggy
Getting Established

Im 100% positive that's not the case at all, gutters aren't even close to capacity it's only about 2 slots immediately off the corner that actually dribble water out. No other point along the guttering is over flowing. I'm suspecting it's only the velocity of the water coming off the valley and splashing up. There's a much smaller section of roof with 2 downpipes either side that cover about 4m of gutters (way over the top for downpipes) and that still does it but we have a tropical garden under that so that section hasn't really given me any grief due to erosion. Extra down pipes aren't the solution for this case as the gutters aren't "over flowing" as such this is a splashing issue. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Triggy,

With the new information you've provided, and your confidence that the issue is related to water splashing as opposed to overflowing, I propose fashioning a splashguard out of aluminium that can be attached to this corner.

Something along the lines of this James Hardie 14mm Aluminium Trimline External Corner Jointer that sits in the corner where the valley converges with the guttering.

It could be sat in the corner and pop rivetted in place. You could even paint it to match with some Dulux Metalshield Multipurpose Spray Paint.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the additional information @Triggy then definitely go with @JacobZ suggestion as a more permanent on not your tape. This is assuming that the tape has been a short term successful solution.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects