Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain Pine to match Durian timber?

kyl
Just Starting Out

How to stain Pine to match Durian timber?

We are renovating an Old Queenslander and need to replace the internal balustrades and handrails. The internal stairs are not original and are made of Durian timber. Is there a stain for pine that can match the Durian, or a way we can most closely match our balustrades to the staircase timber? Trying to find Durian timber is a bit of a mission.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: matching pine stain for Durian

Hi @kyl,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Do you have any photos of the stairs you could upload? This would certainly help our members offer their best advice. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, happy to help if required.

I note that our supplier T-Pac lists Durian on their website. If you want to explore this option, I'd suggest heading to your local Bunnings Trade Desk and speaking with the friendly team. I'm sure they'd be happy to reach out to T-Pac to discuss your options.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a product that is specifically made to stain Pine to look like Durian. 

The best advice I can offer for this is to check out Cabots Step-by-Step Colour Guide and try to match the colour as best you can. If you decide to use stain in this way, I'd suggest doing some test runs to try and match the colour as closely as possible.

Allow me to tag @arfabuck to see if he has any advice he can offer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

arfabuck
Cultivating a Following

Re: matching pine stain for Durian

Durian timber is available from   https://paradise-timbers.com.au/durian/ . It is only available in stair sizes.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects