Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace screen door runner?

kgr
Finding My Feet

How to replace screen door runner?

So I made the mistake of watching YouTube to find the answer to my screen door problem and used a screw driver to get out the runner bracket part but now I can't figure out if its an easy replace the broken bracket and runner or if its a real stuff up and there's a thick screw inside that I think was holding the runner bracket In place and the screw to undo that has been threaded and can't come out.

The only solution I can see is to take it to a door place and get it all fixed up. 

Is there a way I can fix it? 

And it turns out the runners just popped off given a little nudge,which I found

1000000654.jpg

1000000655.jpg

out on the other runner. 

Re: How to replace screen door runner?

I took a photo of it. It doesn't fit which is strange given it shows it fits according to the measurement on the website from the link.

That spring won't go back far enough for it to fit in given how long the bracket is. I'm not sure if it's jammed. Maybe some wd40 would move it further back. 

1000000744.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kgr 

You'll need to remove the plastic housing of the old screen roller in order for the new set to fit in. If the opening is a bit small or needs to be bigger, I suggest using a steel file to grind away the aluminium to make the hole bigger. Your goal is to clear the bottom of the sliding screen of the old screen roller housing and test fit the new rollers you've purchased. I also suggest looking around the edges and see if there are any screws that are strategically placed to hold the old housing. If you find one take it off and see if the housing comes out. The last option of course is using brute force or cutting the old plastic housing out.   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kgr
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric there are screws on each side but they have been completely destroyed from someone trying to get them out. Possibly the old owners. 

Do you mean the plastic housing from the last rollers? That has already been removed. What is left is a large screw and something attached to it, as the photo shows. 

Some of the photos in the thread show what is left inside the roller housing area that is blocking any new roller from fitting in.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kgr 

I propose using either a Trojan 300mm Mini Hack Saw or a Multitool to cut the screw that is in the way.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects