Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair flaking on newly painted wall?

inno
Finding My Feet

How to repair flaking on newly painted wall?

Hi all,

I’m looking for some recommendations for my freshly painted wall (not sure if this is the right forum). I noticed minor flaking of the paint. Is this something to be concerned about and should be fixed

IMG_7753.jpeg

? Or is this nothing to be worried about?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Flaking Paint

Evening @inno 

Mmmmm Do you remember if there was any imperfections before you painted the wall? You can fix it resonably easy but I am just wondering what has caused the issue to start with. Do you know what is behind the wall at that point? Or if say crayon had been drawn on it beforehand? Or even a greasy handprint that you cant see so easily?

To fix the issue-

Using a metal painting spatula scrape over the surface to remove the loose flakes.

Then Sand back with a light sandpaper until the cracks have lost their sharp edges.

Using Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler - 180g and the painters spatula smooth over the area so its level, let dry and  sand, then recoat again with plaster if needed to fill any dips. Sand back level. Note it may take a few runs of plaster to get that smooth fill, the plaster is easier to smooth if its larger in width then the section with the cracks. 

Also there is UNi-PRO 500g Smooth Coat Skim Filler - 500g that I have used on the same type of surface for my laundry ceiling. I had done the same steps above and it came up beautifully.

Then repaint :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Flaking Paint

Hello @inno 

Thaks for sharing your question about flaking paint. That is spot on advice coming from @Dave-1. I definitely agree with the steps suggested, my only other recommendation is to keep an eye on this particular spot for the next few months to make sure that the same phenomenon does not occur again.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects