Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove diamond grill window screens?

Else
Finding My Feet

How to remove diamond grill window screens?

I'd like to to remove/clean/reinstall our diamond grille security screens. 

I've managed to get one screw out but the others are firmly screwed in/won’t budge.

WD40 hasn't helped. 

Does anyone know what these kind of screws/locks are called & the tool I need to remove them? I'd like to avoid removing the pop rivets if possible. Thank you! IMG_1605.jpegIMG_1607.jpegimage006.jpgIMG_1602.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: removing/cleaning diamond grill window screens

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Else. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a security screen.

They appear to be some kind of proprietary locking mechanism, and I am unaware of any commonly available tools that would help you remove them. A key was likely supplied with the door originally. If there is a brand on the screen, perhaps it is still available from the supplier.

If you can't obtain the key, you might like to drill out the rivets so you can access the bolts and remove them with standard pliers. Once you've done the cleaning, the retaining plates can be re-installed with new pop rivets.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members @Nailbag, @Dave-1 and @DIYGnome

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to remove diamond grill window screens?

Hello @Else 🖐

I would agree with @MitchellMc regarding the removal of this screen, drilling out pot rivets isn't too much of a chore but before you do... I would try some right angle circlip pliers, this is not what they are intended for (and may be considered abuse) but might provide the leverage you need to get those threaded inserts (with a slotted keyway) to budge. 

DIYGnome_0-1721603554836.png

https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-175mm-circlip-internal-bent-tip-plier_p0126933

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @Else 

I havnt seen these type of fixings before 😕 They are interesting and about the only think Id add would be try some circlip pliers as @DIYGnome has mentioned. Next step would be to drill out those rivets and replace them once the screen has been cleaned. 

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Else Unfortunately I'm unable to provide any further insight than what @MitchellMc @Dave-1 and @DIYGnome have suggested. 

Perhaps contacting the company/dealer might be the best course of action.

regards, Nailbag

Thanks Mitchell, DIYGnome, Dave and Nailbag! 

The brand was Butts. I've attached a photo in case anyone recognises it. 

It doesn't seem to be around anymore & we don't have a key but I'll try circlip pliers first. 

Thanks again : ) 

IMG_1806.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects