Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove Gainsborough door knob?

threemonkeys
Growing in Experience

How to remove Gainsborough door knob?

IMG20240715022239.jpg

I'm having trouble removing these door handles for painting, I believe the gold base plate screws off on one side (there's no hole with a pin and there's no slot). They're incredibly tight and I can't get them undone, any ideas on how to loosen them?

I'd also like to repaint the base plate a different colour, any suggestions on how best to do that and what's popular at the moment?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove Gainsborough door knob?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @threemonkeys. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing door handles.

Those cover plates typically unscrew anti-clockwise. There might not be any slots or pinholes, but they can sometimes be difficult to remove. I have suggested putting washing-up gloves on to provide more grip, which worked in the past.

Once you've removed them, I recommend sanding the cover plate with 240-grit sandpaper to remove the ultra-smooth surface and then spray painting them. Here's a guide on chrome tapware painting, which will be a similar process: How to spray paint a tap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The gloves worked really well. Thanks 👍

Nice one, @threemonkeys

Thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects