Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint mouldy ornate ceiling?

martyjames
Building a Reputation

How to paint mouldy ornate ceiling?

Hi Again

My house is 100 year old with ornate ceilings. They are generally in good condition. There is a thin coating of mold on these ceilings and i want to clean and repaint so it wont come back. - I have previously (about 5 years ago) repainted this ceiling with a kitchen and bathroom ceiling paint (specifically mold resistant from memory), but it only worked for so long.

I am thinking to firstly use Crommelin 4L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-4l-flat-aquablock-waterproof-primer-undercoat_p1560471?srsltid...

Then use Dulux Wash&Wear +PLUS Kitchen & Bathroom Low Sheen Vivid White - 4LDulux 4L Interior Paint 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-4l-interior-paint-wash-wear-plus-kitchen-bathroom-low-sheen-vivid-...

Is this a good combination to stop the mold regrowth?? Any one coat solution ideas would be great if it exists

Other question - is there a very long nap roller that i can use to paint the Ornate ceilings? I used a brush previously and it was tedious to say the least!!

It is very hard to increase ventilation in this old house so  and i am aware thats the underlying issue. Pics below

Many thanks again

IMG_20240818_144524394.jpgIMG_20240818_144531682.jpgIMG_20240818_144535461.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Prep and Painting slightly moldy ORNATE Ceings

Hi @martyjames,

That sounds like a good approach. I'd prep the ceiling by washing it down with Flood 750ml Mould Action Pre-Paint Treatment. I'd then go as far as adding Protite 75ml Mould Defender Paint Additive to your topcoat paint. By using the Aquablock to prevent moisture coming from behind the ceiling and then the mould paint additive to prevent growth from the front, you'll have a solid mould inhibiting solution.

There's no paint/primer combo that would suit this circumstance, and giving this is an ongoing issue, I'd go the extra mile to try and prevent it in the future.

For long nap rollers, I recommend you try the UNi-PRO 270mm 20mm Nap Genius Sheepskin Paint Roller Cover. I've used it on bricks with deep mortar lines, and it worked a treat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Prep and Painting slightly moldy ORNATE Ceings

Thanks a lot Mitchell, appreciated

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects