Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a 4 bedroom house?

andydandy
Just Starting Out

How to paint a 4 bedroom house?

IMG_8736.jpeg

IMG_8733.jpeg

I am doing DIY kitchen/bath and while house refresh reno. I am planning to get some trade help and unsure of the high cost of painting quotes and keen to throw my hat into the game. I have 150sqm, 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 lounge house. There is fair bit of windows and doors. Is there a video instruction as I may need to patch and paint and check uneven surfaces. Also I plan to use wallpaper, VJ panelling, timber slats on feature walls. I am not sure if it would look unprofessional and I will have to redo. Or can I start with certain sections of house such as garage and bedrooms and see if I can DIY and seek help later if needed. Looking for some advise.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andydandy. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a refresh reno.

It sounds like from what you've described that you'd be able to complete most of those elements provided you have some basic to intermediate D.I.Y. skills. Starting with smaller sections of your house is a good strategy. This way, you can build your skills and confidence before tackling larger areas. If you find certain tasks too challenging or time-consuming, you can always seek professional help later.

Painting can be a significant expense, but it's also one of the most manageable D.I.Y tasks if you're willing to put in the time and effort. There are plenty of video tutorials available that can guide you through the process of patching, painting, and checking for uneven surfaces:

You'll find video guides within all these articles.

I like the sound of using wallpaper and VJ panelling, as these materials can add a lot of character to your home. Start with a small area to see how it looks and how comfortable you are with the process. Feature walls in less prominent areas, like the garage or bedrooms, can be good starting points. Here are some helpful step-by-step guides:

You might like to check our Top 10 most popular VJ panelling projects and VJ panelling projects for any room of the house for inspiration.

Take your time to prep the surfaces properly before painting or applying any wall treatments. This includes cleaning, sanding, and priming the walls. For wallpaper and panelling, careful measurement and attention to detail are key. Cutting corners is the easiest way to end up with a sub-par result, so make sure that you prepare the walls well and follow the guides above.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects