Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a mini terrarium with a dinosaur theme

ehill
Having an Impact

How to make a mini terrarium with a dinosaur theme

A few months ago I went along to my very first Bunnings Adult DIY (at East Victoria Park, WA) and terrariums were on the agenda! After a brief explanation to my daughter,3, that terrarium meant "land container" - does that make sense? no? it's a small home with plants in it - yes... just like a small home for little dinosaurs!!! Then suddenly she rushes off and comes back with “Bluey the Dinosaur” only to ask me if I could take Bluey to put in his new home - kids really are the cutest/funniest of things! 

rhine-stone-steps.png

After she showed such enthusiasm, I thought I should probably show her HOW to make her very own dinosaur home!

I'm afraid I've stumbled upon something that's sparked a whole new plant obsession in her!I'm afraid I've stumbled upon something that's sparked a whole new plant obsession in her!

And now we can show you too!!!

Materials

Any kind of glass container - glass means you can see all those pretty layers! Almost any small container-esque jar or cup can make an open terrarium - even a teacup! I say scavenge your kitchen cupboards or your local Good Sammy’s!

I used a glass teapot planter, teacup, an egg cup, a vintage champagne glass and a handmade martini glass gifted to me by a friend!I used a glass teapot planter, teacup, an egg cup, a vintage champagne glass and a handmade martini glass gifted to me by a friend!

Small plants such as - succulents, carnivorous plants and cacti work best - but basically any plant that is hardy and likes a moist, humid environment. - just remember to think about the size of your container! So don’t go getting HUGE plants if you’re using a small jar - it’s not a Genie!

Cuttings - you can use smaller cuttings in the smaller jars (let them grow for approx 2 years and then re-home them!)

Sand - I used sand from my daughter's sand pit, but you should probably use either a nice decorative or horticultural sand

Charcoal - helps prevent rot and mould!

Rocks and pebbles - for layers and decoration on top - I used pink mini pebblesblack pebbles, stones from the garden (washed!) and mirror chips.

Soil - a bag of premium potting mix will do - I used Baileys

Peat Moss - soil amendment, optional

Green Moss - decorative, optional (See Note at End*)

Pine Bark Mulch - I used for decoration on top which is again, optional, but mulch helps to retain moisture and balances the temperature - which is important for a moist environment like a terrarium!!

DINOSAURS! Or really any kind of toy that can fit in/on a glass jar! Best value-for-buck is this roarsome pack! Or alternatively ask your family if they have any old toys they want to get rid of! Everyone has a dinosaur needing a healthy home! 

Tools

Gloves - adults and kids

Tweezers - make for a more delicate placement for those harder containers, like my teapot, and also for ‘handling’ any cacti - they're prickly lil guys!

Steps

Step 1

For your information there’s a lot more to [terrariums] than people think ... They stink? No. Oh, they make you cry. No. Oh, you leave em out in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs. NO!!! Layers... Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. [Terrariums] have layers. You get it? [They all] have layers

LAYERS - It's all about them layers! Starting from the bottom (obviously...)

1. sand - optional step - more for decoration if anything, 
  2. rocks/pebbles/mirror chips
  3. charcoal
  4. soil - plus peat moss, optional
  5. plant
  6. rocks/pebbles/mirror chips/ moss, bark, etc - all your decorative bits n pieces
  7. DINOSAURS! ROAR! 

Step 2

Sand - Adding sand to your terrarium enhances drainage and prevents air pockets from forming - which prevents mould!

Pour your chosen sand into the bottom of your jar (approx 10%).

* If you want a clean look wipe the edges down with a cloth! 

5. sand.png

OR instead of sand you could use .... Mirror Chips!

NB: I realised after we finished that I wanted, and subsequently forgot, to add the mirror chips to my martini-arium. Luckily for me, my daughter knocked it over😒 so I had to redo it anyway... I originally added them after the sand but the effect was lost. So, I cleaned out the glass (again...) and started instead with the mirror chips on the bottom giving the glass an extra shine - just beautiful!!

I would love to try “magic sand”!

6. Mirror chips grouped.png

Step 3

Our 2nd layer is rocks/pebbles/stones [or mirror chips!] - think about the SIZE of your container - and the overall look you would like.

Audrey chose small pink pebbles while I went for the bigger black stones. Rocks aid in draining the water and filtering it down to the bottom - as opposed to drenching it!

rocks and pebbles.png

Step 4

Charcoal - spread out a thin (not too chunky) layer of charcoal. Again, following a percentage of your container that you’re happy with as an overall look. Afterthought: Use a mortar and pestle to crush up your charcoal!

You may have to search for smaller bits or break them up - dependant on the size of your container. OR... consider using a mortar & pestle!You may have to search for smaller bits or break them up - dependant on the size of your container. OR... consider using a mortar & pestle!

The charcoal will help in preventing mould, bacteria, and unpleasant smells in the terrarium.

Step 5

Add your soil and your peat moss.NB: Peat Moss is a soil amendment (thus, optional) but it helps to absorb moisture and provides aeration to your soil. Terrariums thrive on moisture and help your plant grow!

I added a small handful of soil first and then spread the peat moss on top. You can use a spoon if you have a smaller area to fill.

Then - poke a hole for your plant.

How do you wake up Lady Gaga in the morning?How do you wake up Lady Gaga in the morning?POKER FACE!!!POKER FACE!!!

Step 6

Pull out your plant and clear the soil from the pot into a bucket - we only need the plant and its roots. Again, this is also due to space in the glass. If you have a larger container you might want to keep your soil.

Gloves on! Watch those lil pricks!Gloves on! Watch those lil pricks!

Step 7

Plant it! Being careful with the cacti prickles - be sure to wear your gloves and use tweezers (especially for those lil cacti buggers... I mean plants!!!)

Sprinkle! Sprinkle!Sprinkle! Sprinkle!

Step 8

Decorate with pretty pebbles and stones on the top! You can be as decorative as you like with your final layer!

Bunnings has an amazing selection of decorative pebbles! You’ll be sure to find a colour to match your decor!

While I used mirror chips throughout, as well as on top of my martini redo!While I used mirror chips throughout, as well as on top of my martini redo!

Step 9

Now it’s PLAY TIME!

Have fun watching your little one introduce their dinosaur friends to their new homes!

ROARSOME FUN!ROARSOME FUN!

Step 10

So my best friend, Jem Jem, suggested to use carpet moss (not peat or spaghnum moss but carpet or green moss.)

This type of moss will make that gorgeous green forrest effect! Perfect for dinosaurs! While the peat moss is still efficient as a soil amendment, in all honesty I DID think it was the stuff that turns green... 🤦‍♀️ - And this is how we learn people!

*A quick note on Green Moss - - personally, I think the green moss in terrariums adds that extra bit of ‘fairy-tale forest magic’, but I wasn’t sure where to buy any (to the public type thing?) BUT after reading this article and watching this youtube I am now currently trying to propogate my own green moss from the bricks and trees outside!!! Talk about innovation! 

Jason_0-1722481293173.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a mini terrarium with a dinosaur theme

Love me a good terrarium, @ehill! Have you ever heard of a moss milkshake? You can blitz up some moss with some water and then spread the solution over some peat moss or soil. If it's kept damp the moss will regenerate and start to grow. I even saw someone adding whole milk to the solution, but I haven't tried that myself.

I've spent many a weekend making a "fairy garden" for my daughter when, in fact, I was actually creating a little mossy world for myself to enjoy too.

Many thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to hear how your moss experiment goes.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects