Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a floor with cabling?

dnlbignami
Finding My Feet

How to insulate a floor with cabling?

  

IMG_8064.jpeg

IMG_8063.jpeg

Hi there - I am hoping to insulate the floor of my Queenslander similar to the video (https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/how-to-install-underfloo...). It seems overall easy however there are some areas of the floor with cables which might make the job a bit harder.

Do you have any tips on how to insulate these areas with cables? I have attached a couple of pictures. I am planning to use a 9cm high underfloor batt. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate a floor with cables

Hi @dnlbignami,

Thank you for your question about how to insulate around cables on your floors subframe.

It shouldn't be too difficult to insulate around the cables, but your safety is a priority, so you should start by turning off the power to these cables.

My suggestion is to test fit the insulation before fixing in place to ensure you aren't covering the power point. If you need to trim the insulation around the power point, this can be done with some scissors or a utility knife.

Then fix your Insulation Strapping to the side of the joist as high above the cable and plumbing as possible. Once the insulation batt is in place, pull the strap tight over the joist and fix it to the other joist. This will keep the insulation free from the cable and pipes while still ensuring the whole space is filled with insulation.

The other tip I have is to get a good quality mask or respirator and wear gloves, eye protection and some disposable coveralls. Insulating is a sweaty job, and any airborne particles will stick to you and make you horrendously itchy. As someone who has made this mistake before, trust me it is not worth it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects