Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix large gap under door frame?

WSR
Growing in Experience

How to fix large gap under door frame?

Hello All,

I have a large gap of about 50mm under one of my door frames and I'm looking for some advice on how to best address it. Any suggestions on the most cost-effective way to cover this gap would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
image 1.jpgimage 2.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Advice for large gap under door frame

Afternoon @WSR 

I was thinking of cardboard hard up under the top surface and tracing the profile. Transferring this to a piece of wood and then cut out with a jigsaw. Insert/glue (especially where the ends meet) and maybe a thin wedge to hold in place till dry.

Cheers.

WSR
Growing in Experience

Cheers, thanks.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Quirky coincidence, but I was in Coles yesterday and they're selling plastic profilers for $13. Quite good, might be worth a look @WSR 

Cheers!

20240714_083756.jpg

20240714_083701.jpg

WSR
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much, I'll check it out. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @WSR,

It's great to see you've gotten some advice from @Noyade, which sounds like a very solid plan.

Another option that might work for you is to cut a block to fill the majority of the space, and the same as Noyade has suggested, use Gorilla Wood Glue and a Builders Wedge to lock it in place. 

Once dry, use Builders Bog and a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to build out the contours to match what is there. Once dry, sand using a Grit Angled Sanding Sponge to give it a clean-up and fix any imperfections before painting.

If you wanted to give Noyade's method a try, we also have a variety of contour gauges that you might like to check out.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

WSR
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your help Jacob, it's very much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects