Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix front door misalignment at top?

Maxi
Finding My Feet

How to fix front door misalignment at top?

Hi all, how would I fix the top of the door sticking out not sitting flush with the aluminium frame?

Photo is of when door is fully closed.

Any ideas please

1000000944.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Front door sticks out on top

Afternoon @Maxi 

Mmmm Have you used a square such as @Nailbag suggested? The door does look like it has a twist to it.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maxi 

Please keep us updated with your progress, please don't forget to check the level of your door frame as well.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maxi
Finding My Feet

Will do Eric, trip to Bunnings tomorrow to get a straight edge. I seem to have misplaced mine.

Will update once I check levels

Maxi
Finding My Feet

Hey Dave, haven't check yet I have misplaced my straight edge so trip to Bunnings tomorrow. 

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Great photos @Maxi . Now you will need to establish what's twisted the door of the jamb itself with a 1200mm level to see what's not plumb (vertically level).

From the inside check the left and right door jamb edges and then the door itself. Only open the door very slightly if need be to be able to rest the level on the right hand edge.

If the door jamb is twisted on the handle side, then all the trim will need to be removed to expose the cavity between the inside of the jamb and the timber frame. The securing nails will need to be cut, jamb straightened and the refined to the frame and trim replaced. 

If the door is twisted, which is what I suspect, then you will need to replace the door itself.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 1.35.06 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-28 at 1.45.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-28 at 1.44.56 PM.png

Regards, Nailbag

Hi Nailbag, door jamb is level but door is definitely twisted gap between door and level is only a few mm but I guess a few mm make a big difference. Looks like that's my next project to replace the door. Thanks for all your help on this and thanks to everyone else aswell.

1000000971.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maxi,

The twist in the door is certainly going to contribute, but looking at your last photo, it doesn't look to be enough for the door to stick out that far past the jamb.

Before replacing the door, you should check one last thing.

Open the door to 90 degrees and look at the gap between the door jamb and the door where the hinges are. See the below photo as an example. 

You can see on my door that the gap between the door and the frame is not even between the middle and top hinge. 

On your door, is this line even from top to bottom? If not, the hinges may be out of plumb.

Place your level directly on the outside of the bottom hinge and run it straight up the jamb to the top hinge. Are they plumb with each other?

If they are out of plumb, you may be able to move the hinge over on the jamb to correct the issue.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

Maxi
Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob , with the level the seem pretty flush but in the photo I think the lower hinge is in more than the middle and top.

1000000974.jpg

1000000975.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Maxi 

Just had a thought, I wonder if it would be worth moving the trim that the door butts up against to make it look right.

Also is the trim vertical? When I redid my door and removed the trim from around the door I did it gently with the paint scrapper being tapped underneath the timber and leavering it up until I could get my claw hammer and have more oomph to leaver it off. 

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Just to be sure Maxi, the gap appears to be less than the amount the door is sticking out. Is the door flush at the bottom or does it stick out from the frame as well just not as much? If it does, then the gap shown will be about right. And double checking the hinge alignment within the door jamb as @JacobZ is an excellent idea I missed.

The pin of each hinge should be exactly in the same position against the door jamb, usually it should be with no gap. If the top one is stick out several mm from the middle and then the bottom one, then this will be the issue. It means taking the middle and top ones off and repositioning them. inwards to the door stop thats currently covered with foam weather shielding. 

Just as a side note: If needing to shop for a new door, it would be worth getting one of the Bunnings door suppliers to come measure it up and then at the same time be 100% on both the door and how its fitted. @EricL or @JacobZ might be able to assist on how thats arranged.

regards, Nailbag

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects