Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix flaky paint on front door?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

How to fix flaky paint on front door?

I Have been replacing my patio handrails and decided to do the front door also as the same black paint is used. It has flaked to the point of the timber showing underneath. This I have removed and is prepped for painting. The issue I have now is the actual front door has paint flaking/peeling off. I will put up some pics. I really dont want to have to strip the whole door but may have to. If I sand the edges of the flaky paint smooth then paint over it, then it will it stop flaking... ? Yeah I think I just answered my question. The paint is flaking for a reason (wasnt done right originaly id say) I should strip the door and start fresh is probarly the wisest.

Hoping for other solutions.01 02-07-2023.jpg

The door as it stands now. The bottom right is where the top paint is flaking off. All the doors in the house have the same issue but the internal doors are the worst. My fear is if I sand it and then paint it the paint underneath still wants to flake off.

02 24-06-2023.jpg

This was what the paint was like previously.

03 19-06-2023.jpg

With the screen the colour seems to still be bonded. I intend to repaint it (Using spray cans maybe?) and replace the flyscreen before putting it back up. Any suggestions on either spray or paint or type of paint even. BTW Still undecided on the colour to do it all including the concrete patio.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix flaky paint on front door?

Hi @Dave-1 

I was going to suggest sanding all the paint off as it looks like it has reached its use by date. I also suspect that a very cheap primer was used on the door causing the paint to lift.

I recommend using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L and Dulux Aquanamel as topcoat tinted in your preferred colour. 

Since you're planning on painting your screen door, I suggest having a look at this discussion - Spray painted screen door by @homeinmelbourne. The light surrounding colour and the black interior of the screen has given it a very modern look. 

In regards to colour, I suggest a light neutral base as it tends to hide dust and blemishes better. Dust and dirt are always more visible with dark colours.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix flaky paint on front door?

@EricL 

:smile: Thank you for the info. I was umming and ahhing before your comment but you have pushed me over the edge. Id rather do the job right the first time then have to come it back and do it again in a years time. So I have decided to strip the paint rather then sand it as the paint stripper seems to work incredibly nicely. Even to only removing the top layer of paint only. ? Wierd as. I really like that screen door project you showed me. I had forgotten that I had liked it and commented :surprised: Brain is like a sieve I think. That door looks stunning. Looks like I will be stripping and sanding the door and then painting as you suggested.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects