Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix corner crack between wall and ceiling?

ramzyatallah
Just Starting Out

How to fix corner crack between wall and ceiling?

Hey everyone, i am an amateur painter that learned through errors, videos and the bunnings community chat.

I came across an issue that i cant seem to solve, i have a crack between the cornice moulding and the wall which i initially tried to fix through scrapping and patching with fillers. I then thought painting it would be the solution as it will hide most of the errors that we created but obviously it didn't.

A few months later, i became a little more experienced and knowledgeable and realised that no more gaps could have solved my problem.

I have attached an image to show how the crack Currently looks like, which shows that the moulding is not straight with many gap and not well done.

What would be the solution here. Should I scrape the crack and use gyprock to fill the gap then use no more gap after?

17209288224598605075032624630537.jpg

17209288550765139466583628133971.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: corner crack between wall and ceiling

Hi @ramzyatallah,

Thank you for your question about repairing a crack beneath your cornice and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The issue you are having is because plaster is not a flexible product. As the cornice is connected to both the wall and the ceiling sheets, which aren't directly connected to eachother, any slight movements in the wall or ceiling will cause the plaster to crack like it has done.

You need to scrape out the old plaster and replace it with a flexible sealant such as No More Gaps

There's no need for additional plaster to be added before the No More Gaps as it will perfectly conceal the gap, be flexible enough to move slightly with the house and is paintable to match the surrounding areas.

You might like to have a look at How To Silicone a Gap for some guidance on this process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects