Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Whitco Window Button Lock

learningDIYer
Getting Established

How to fix Whitco Window Button Lock

IMG_4704.png

Hello, I have many of these window locks in the house, however 2 of them don’t lock. When the button is pushed in, it can still be unwound. Does the whole window winder need to be removed and replaced? Or can a locksmith fix them? I know they were purchased from Bunnings but don’t know when or who installed them. 
thank you ☺️ 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix Whitco Window Button Lock

Hi @learningDIYer,

It sounds like the units might need to be replaced. However, if there was a part you could identify as being broken inside, I could contact Whitco to see if a replacement part is available for the unit. Without knowing what is broken, it would be difficult to determine whether a locksmith would be able to repair them.

Those window winders do have a 10-year warranty, so if you could track down your proof of purchase and if they were within that period, we should hopefully be able to swap them over for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Unfortunately I am just the tenant of a rental. I won't bore you with the excrutiating history but right now I just want to get the windows to lock, even if I have to do it myself. I can be reimbursed for the urgent repairs, but I'm a bit lost on how/where to proceed, and all I know is that when I push that little black button, the windows aren't locking. The winders can still be unwound. 
It might be time Bunnings has call-out locksmith services :laugh: 

Can I ask why you need the winders to lock? Is it to prevent children from opening them? I've just installed some Whitco winders myself, and they came with governors to stop them from opening at 100mm and 150mm. If it's a safety issue, then perhaps if your model is compatible, we could order the clip that restricts the opening.

As for security, regardless of them not being locked, in the closed position it would be next to impossible for the window to be opened from the exterior.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects