Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert a carport into a room?

Tariq
Getting Established

How to convert a carport into a room?

Hi Bunnings Expert Community,

I'm planning to convert an existing, roofed area into a room. I've attached some photos for reference.

The dimensions of the space are as follows:

• Height: 2.5 meters
  • Width: 3.1 meters
  • Length: 3.9 meters
  • Doorway: 0.88 meters wide by 2.13 meters high
  • Window: 1.8 meters by 1.2 meters

I'm looking for guidance on the following:

• Materials: What type and quantity of materials will I need, including studs, plasterboard, and waterproofing materials?
  • Tools: What tools are essential for this project?
  • Labor: Approximately how many hours would this project take?
  • Electrical: When should I involve an electrician for lighting and switchboard installation?
  • Considerations: Are there any critical factors to consider before starting this project?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tariq

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-30 at 11.34.24_126cc672.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-30 at 11.34.24_caa54854.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert a carport into a room?

Hello @Tariq 

Thank you for sharing your question about converting your carport into a room. 

Please note that class 10a buildings (such as private garages, carports, and sheds) are non-habitable under the National Construction Code (NCC) and require local government approval for residential use (see Section 119 of the Building Act 1975). 

Property owners must obtain necessary approvals before converting a Class 10a building into residential spaces, such as kitchens or bedrooms. Additionally, the building must be upgraded to meet the minimum standards of a Class 1a dwelling per the NCC before being used for residential purposes. Please visit your local council to get the full list of permits needed.

In order to expedite the conversion process, I recommend engaging the services of a local registered builder who's had experience with room conversions. 

I suggest having a quick look at this featured discussion - Garage converted into two bedrooms by @richmac. Before you buy any materials, I propose drawing your plan on paper first so that there will no confusion about how the room will look like. Your plan will define door and window locations including how big the walls will be. Show your builder your ideas and they'll be able to convert it into actual plans that are in line with the rules and regulations of your local council.

Here are some fantastic garage conversions our Workshop members have shared:

In regards to the materials you'll be needing, your plan will dictate what materials you'll be using. Make sure to coordinate with your builder, electrician and plumber in regards to material purchase. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tariq
Getting Established

Re: How to convert a carport into a room?

Hi @EricL 
I get that, thank you so much

Tariq

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects