Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build timber framing around sewer waste vent pipe stack?

Trobo
Getting Established

How to build timber framing around sewer waste vent pipe stack?

Hi,

I will be building a timber frame studio in our backyard, the plumbing and concrete slab has already been set. Im relatively comfortable with the frame I need to build however the only item Im not clear on how to frame out comes to the plumbing vent stack (also not entirely clear whats its referred to as I've seen it called a number of things).

The pipe in the slab is a 90 or 100mm (actually need to properly measure), my timber framing will be 90mm width so I will need to leave a gap in the bottom plate for it. However how will/should the pipe then run? Im conscience if it was to run straight up and out the roof I would have to have a gap in the frame the whole way up that wall which doesn't appear structurally sound to me.

How would this normally work? Would it transition down to a small pipe such as a 50mm to go up through the timber noggin, top plate and roof? Or would it kink out of the wall and run up the outside wall instead? I will be getting a plumber to do that work but as I'll be doing the framing, cladding and roofing Im curious as to what the standard practice is as I havent been able to find any resources explaining it.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber framing around sewer waste vent pipe stack

Hello @Trobo 

Thanks for sharing your question about your vent pipe stack. Before you make any changes to the vent pipe, I suggest speaking to your plumber first. They'll be able to tell you how to properly redirect it. The vent pipe is quite often placed outside the wall if it can't be accommodated in the wall. 

My best advice is to have your wall plans ready so that you can show it to your plumber. Technically, your plumber will have the knowledge on how to redirect the vent pipe in accordance with the local council's rules and regulations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects