Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a sliding ramp for stairs?

Quachy
Getting Established

How to build a sliding ramp for stairs?

Have this set of steep stairs that I don't want to bring cartons or boxes up and down, thinking of getting a handyman to install a foldout plank of timber / steel (so when it's needed i could just unfold it), I will basically have the plank installed as a slope (remove the handrail and put this slope in place) but not sure mechanically what could help it fold and unfold. It will need to be sturdy to hold at least 40kg parcels. Any suggestions. Actually come to think of it, maybe the cheapest option is to just get a wheelchair ramp and just put it on the set of steps - image attached - wheelchair.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sliding plank for cartons and parcels

Hi @Quachy,

Thank you for your question.

I'd suggest that a folding accessibility ramp such as these from our Marketplace providers would be a good option for you.

Please note that these products are unavailable in-store and must be ordered online.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a sliding ramp for stairs?

Hi @Quachy 

As a foolish man I built a wheelchair ramp for myself a while back based on "that'll do!" without considering gradients. Nearly killed myself.

Gradient.PNG

That gradient in the photo above looks amazingly steep and outside the standards above.

Anyway.

How many steps are you wanting to bypass?

Thoughts on how to attach the ramp?

"remove the handrail"

Why the need to remove the rail?

Any chance of some photos of the area?

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects