Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck over existing concrete?

benny4
Finding My Feet

How to build a low-level deck over existing concrete?

Hi I’m looking at starting a low level timber deck in a recently built house but just need some advice if I’m on the right track or someone to steer me in the right direction.

I’m thinking single height subfloor and will be built on existing slab and on ground. I have 160mm height to work with on the alfresco slab but can dig out some additional ground to get more clearance. Currently this is what I’m proposing.

- 120x45 wailer bolted into brick work

- 2/120x45 bearers (pink lines) supported by adjustable feet (on concrete) and posts in ground. I was going to span approximately 1600mm.

- 120x45 joists @ 450 centres in between bearers fixed with joist hangers. Max span 1500mm

- 140x19 spotted gum decking with 5mm spacing. Deck direction North/South looking at my sketch

- I will set deck out for a picture frame boarder

- On the natural ground laying approximately 50mm of stone to help with drainage.

Am I on the right track? Im not 100% sure on the spans and also the section of the deck on my sketch top left there will be a 600-700 cantilever I’m not sure will work.

I have also seen frames set up with just joists at 450 centres supported by feet and posts with noggins nailed in between.

I hope to get a start soon so thanks to anyone who replies!

IMG_1819.jpeg   

IMG_1813.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1814.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck over existing concrete?

Hi @benny4,

That's brilliant to hear, I'm excited to see your project get underway.

The main reasons for leaving a gap are so that there is room for the timber to expand and contract and so water can drain from the top of the deck. A 5mm gap should be adequate for drainage, but monitoring to ensure this gap is kept open from leaves, dirt and debris is going to be necessary.

I'd suggest simply coating the tips of your decking boards with whatever decking oil you are planning to use. Something like this Intergrain Spotted Gum UltraDeck Timber Decking Oil might be a good option. Spotted Gum, due to its tight grain structure and natural oils is already fairly water resistant, but any additional protection you can give is going to be worthwhile.

Keep us updated as the project progresses, I will be eagerly awaiting an update this coming weekend.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects