Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect tips, tricks and help

Hi all,

I thought it may he good to have a feed where we could share any tips and tricks to do with any of the Grid Connect Range being Arlec, Deta, Verve, Orion.

I am learning from trial and error and really just accident so sharing with others and sharing back we may be able to create some good learning information for us all.

Please post below starting with what the trick is as the title then how to do so as the body of information.

Carl 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

Hello @RJsPlace 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Grid connect camera.

It is a bit of mystery if your camera does not re-connect to your router after powering up. I have an ordinary "Click" camera that I use occasionally, and it automatically links up to my router with no issue. I suggest trying some trouble shooting steps and see if it will re-connect to the router. Please turn off the other 9 devices currently connecting to the router and then do a power off/on cycle and see if the camera will connect. 

If it does, odds are the camera is having a difficult time connecting to the router with the other nine devices area active. Next bring the camera right next to the router with the other nine devices on and do another off/on cycle. If it connects, it needs a higher signal than the 70% it's getting from the outside.   

If you have a signal booster or repeater, try connecting to that and see if the camera will link back up to the network. If after trying out these trouble shooting steps and you still can't get it to link to the WiFi, I suggest returning the product to the store for an exchange.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RJsPlace
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric.

Thank you for your prompt reply with suggestions.

I removed all the other smart devices so that nothing shows connected to the Router. 

I placed the Router within 3 metres of the camera and with the door open, creating almost a line of site.

After testing by restarting the Router and by cycling the power with a 10 second turn off for both, and by restarting the camera within the App, I think I have found the problem.

When the App senses that the camera is offline, it attempts only once to reconnect to the Router within one minute before determining it to remain offline. Likewise, when the power is restored.

The problem is that both the Router and the camera take longer than one minute to re-establish themselves, by which time the App has timed out the reconnection. The App makes no further attempts to reconnect, either automatically or by refreshing the screen.

The camera restart time presents the main problem, as that cannot be fixed. Whereas the Router could be changed to one with a faster reset time. Even after the camera has been powered on a few minutes, then a manual attempt to re-establish a connection, it still fails. This presents another possible problem that the camera is not putting out a signal to reconnect.

If the App made ongoing attempts, or the camera restart time was quicker, that would solve the problem.

I do not think swapping it instore will solve this but rather return it for a refund and purchase a different camera, hoping not to have the same problem.

Now to reconnect all those other devices.

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RJsPlace,

You might also like to contact Arlec directly so the Grid Connect technical support team can try to troubleshoot your issue in real-time. Sometimes, it's best to speak with them directly so they can advise on the appropriate steps and get you to try them whilst on the phone.

Please let me know if you require any assistance in returning the unit.

Mitchell

RJsPlace
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell,

I did that yesterday and I think I left them scratching their heads, but I did email them again this morning with the results I posted here. Hopefully, this will enlighten them. If it is that the camera is not sending out a pairing signal after a restart, it may very well be a faulty camera.

Otherwise, it is a great camera with the right features.

I will post back here what Arlec reply with.

Cheers.

Good suggestion to contact Arlec directly.

Generally, I have found they respond quickly and can be very helpful.

@GreenHouse just a suggestion, your wifi is not a combined 2.4 /5Ghz under the same SSID is it?

If so it may be having issues connecting due to it trying to connect to the 5Ghz which it's not compatible with. If that is the case you may need to seperate the 2.4Ghz into a separate SSID or onto a guest network where it's 2 4 only. 

Just a thought.

Re: How to turn off Grid Connect feature?

Thanks guys.

Once again, smart devices aren't smart at all!

Time to buy a dumb one!

Cheers, K.

RJsPlace
Building a Reputation

@CSParnell @EricL @MitchellMc @GreenHouse 

Hi everyone,

Arlec tested the same camera at their premises and found that it reconnects as it should. They suspect mine may have been damaged from a power surge. Arlec have given me the option to replace or refund it in store at Bunnings. My preference is to replace it as I like all of its features and capabilities. I will reinstall the replacement sometime this week and provide further feedback.

Thank you to everyone for your prompt and courteous assistance. Likewise with Arlec's customer and tech services.

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks for letting us know @RJsPlace.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@RJsPlace awesome stuff thanks for the update 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects