Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need primer paint for new house Gyprock?

m80
Finding My Feet

Do I need primer paint for new house Gyprock?

Hi, my experience in painting is only 2 years, I was working with some frinds, and I need to make sure of some things because I will soon be painting a new townhouse after finishing the gybrock work, and my question with your permission:

1. Do I use a primer paint for the ceiling? And if I must use aprimer ceiling paint, how often do I use the primer paint? And what are the good types of primer and finish paint?

2. Do I use a primer paint for the walls, and how often do I use the primer paint? And what are the good types of primer and finish paint?

3. What paint do I use for the exterior eaves under the roof?

4. Can I use a primer paint for the ceiling or walls for the doors and windows before the final gloss ? I hope you can help me with this inquiry and thank you for your cooperation

1000049067.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need primer paint for anew house gybrock?

Hello @m80 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about paint.

It is always best practice to prime the surface of the wall or ceiling you're painting. I propose using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L, it works on a variety of surfaces including walls and ceilings. Plus, it can be used for interior or exterior use and will work on your eaves as well. For the topcoat, I suggest using Dulux 4L Ceiling White Paint for the ceiling and for the interior walls, I suggest Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Wash&Wear +PLUS Anti-Scuff Interior Paint tinted to your preferred colour.

For the eaves, I propose using Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint. Please remember to prime the eaves as well before using the topcoat.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
m80
Finding My Feet

Re: Do I need primer paint for anew house gybrock?

Thank you very much for the help, I am very happy with the quick response🥰🥰, I understood from the answer that it is necessary to use the undercoat once on the ceiling, walls, eaves, doors and windows, and then use the topcoat once or twice depending on the color and degree of gloss

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects