Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dining room storage with bookcases

RainbowDiY
Having an Impact

Dining room storage with bookcases

IMG_2211.jpeg

have a very long slim open plan room that is our lounge, dining and kitchen area. I needed more storage and had this space around this 2.5 m window. The only problem was that most store bought options were too tall as the windows are quite low. So I came up with this design. 

It measures 4 meters in length with 5x800mm cabinets at the base. It’s wrapped in Specrite Spotted gum panels. I made a 50mm plinth to go underneath so the top of the bench top finished just under the window.

the centre cabinet has 4 drawers in it which I made out of plywood and melamine panels, joined with pocket hole screws. The top draw is charging station for family devices and the rest hold napkins etc.

IMG_2249.jpeg

i used spec-rite spotted  gum and beach panels to create the two book cases. I like mid century design and had some pieces I wanted to fit into each book case hence the layout of the shelving. 

71472825325__A04E57BA-FCC1-44AB-83BF-93EB3F935328.jpeg

IMG_4816.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg

i fitted our home made Family Dashboard on the left hand side and to balance the piece I made a bar in the right and created a shaker style door with black mirror Perspex so it matched the screen on the right.

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4906.jpeg

IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4832.jpeg

i routed a groove all round the inside of each bookcases and put LED strips to add some lighting and fun .

Materials

2 x 2.2x600 spec-rite spotted gum panels

6 x 1800x300 spec-rite spotted gum panels

2 x 1200x 300 spec-rite Beech panels

2 1200x600 spec-rite spotted gum panels

5 800x 600 x 720 Trademaster double door kitchen cabinets with French Navy doors

1 piece of 600x900 Perspex black mirror

2 sets of aluminium diffusers 

2 sets of 5m Govee RGB LED lights

Blum euro hinges 110

osmo oil to finish.

Tools

Table saw

Mitre Saw

Router

chisels

plane

drill 

driver

pocket hole jig 

sander

mesh sanding pads - sanded to 240 grit

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dining Room Storage with Bookcases

Hi @RainbowDiY,

What a fantastic custom cabinet!

The amount of thought, detail and effort that were clearly put into this project is truly remarkable. 

I love the contrast between the cabinet faces and the gold hardware, they work so well together. 

Congratulations on a wonderful project that maximises the utility of an otherwise unusable space.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @RainbowDiY 

Thats a nice use of space and very stylish. The timber top gives it a solidness and plants it in place.

Love the planning that you put into it :smile: right down to the speaker slot and weather screen :smile:

Definently adds to the rooms feel.

Dave

Thank you Dave.

i think i went through about 100 iterations of the design before coming to the right one !

It is such a useful piece !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects