Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to repaint table that has a herringbone top?

NinjaTomato
Getting Established

Best way to repaint table that has a herringbone top?

Hello everyone! 

I have a new-to-me, old table, which has previously been upcycled with a distressed look. 

Whilst I LOVE IT, hubby isn't such a huge fan of the "distressed" part 🫤

So the plan is to rub back and paint over the legs in a plain, (probably matt) white. Currently it's a lovely chalky blue...

I've upcycled furniture before, but nothing that couldn't be sanded all over...I'm a bit worried about the herringbone top! Not even sure...is herringbone like this usually just a veneer? In any-case I had thought maybe I could tape up the top somehow??

IMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2152.jpg

Thankful for any advice! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to repaint table that has a herringbone top?

Hello @NinjaTomato 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repainting your table.

What an absolutely gorgeous colonial dinner table (you'll need to tell me where you found it). I can clearly see what the former owner tried to do with the distressed look. But your idea of painting the legs and body white will uplift the look and feel of this table to a higher level. I propose low sheen vivid white from Dulux, having the body non reflective will focus the eyes on the tabletop especially if you paint it in high clear gloss.

Your idea of masking the top of the table is absolutely correct. I suggest using bubble wrap to protect the top of the table while you are sanding the body and legs. The top of your table is composed of millimetre thick pieces of cut timber veneer. It is possible to sand it, but I would be extremely careful not to overdo it.

I'm very keen to see the results of your painting project, please don't forget to post an update.

Here is a link to our top ideas: Upcycled buffets 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to upcycle your bedside table

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects