Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

sanding back outdoor furniture before oiling

lauravdh
Finding My Feet

sanding back outdoor furniture before oiling

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4334.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

Hi, I got a wooden IKEA outdoor furniture set from marketplace on the weekend and thought I’d freshen it up by giving it a kick of furniture oil. 
I roughly sanded it and started to apply the oil but it turns out the oil is

quite transparent so showing the rough sanding job below. 
for sanding preparation, should I be sanding every cm of the furniture before oiling? Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sanding back outdoor furniture before oiling

Hello @lauravdh 

Thanks for sharing your question about your outdoor furniture. I suggest using a detail sander to get to those hard-to-reach areas of the furniture. A good example would be the Ozito 200W Detail Sander it comes with a complete sandpaper package that should be enough to give your appliances a full sand down.

Whatever was used formerly on the furniture, it must be sanded off completely in order for you not to see it when you apply the furniture oil. Failure to do so means that the oil will not properly penetrate the timber and you'll end up with a patchy finish.

Here are some excellent examples of upcycled furniture our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_4335.jpeg

Thanks eric,

I have an ozito sander so will continue to do some sanding work on the pieces. Is it ok to go over the section I have already oiled? (The half bench as in the picture)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lauravdh 

Yes, it's perfectly fine to go over the oiled section, just keep in mind that it might clog the sandpaper a bit.  I therefore suggest tapping and cleaning the sandpaper more often than usual.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects