Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Materials for outdoor catio

AS19
Growing in Experience

Materials for outdoor catio

IMG_3236.jpeg

I’m creating an enclosed outdoor area for my cat and would like to make some cost-effective wall furniture (shelves, resting spots, climbing posts etc) similar to the inspo picture.

The wall area is somewhat sheltered under the eaves but may be exposed to rain with wild weather and direct sun in summer. Would a pine panel cut to size and treated with outdoor decking stain (or similar) be ok in this area, or am I going to need to use treated pine or marine ply? I’m looking for the best value option for making a series of shelves of various sizes. Would prefer a timber look for aesthetics. Any advice welcomed!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Materials for outdoor catio

Hello @AS19 

Thanks for sharing your question about building your outdoor catio. If the resting spots are going to be exposed to the weather, I suggest using SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking. This type of timber is often used for decking and provides a long service life. 

It can be combined together to form shelves or long walkways for the cat to use. In regards to the other types of timber, I suggest making sure that the timber you use for framing is treated up to H3. This means that it is rated for outside use and can withstand harsh weather and insect attack.

To provide an extra layer of protection, I recommend painting the entire outdoor catio so that it will last many seasons.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects