Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

looking into putting a 25mm thk. MDF sheet into the base (as floor/deck) of 4 person inflatable boat

Philby_Dorro
Community Newcomer

looking into putting a 25mm thk. MDF sheet into the base (as floor/deck) of 4 person inflatable boat

looking into putting a 25mm thk. MDF sheet into the base (as floor / deck) of 4 person inflatable boat (Intex SeaHawk-4) Wondering if i can get cut to suit shape at Bunnings, Cannington, West Australia & what the additional cost of that is. Any chance they'd have a template on hand? Choice of material sound like a winner? Not sure if there's a choice of colours for MDF floor / deck.102_0038.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: looking into putting a 25mm thk. MDF sheet into the base (as floor/deck) of 4 person inflatab...

Hello @Philby_Dorro 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about putting wood inside your inflatable boat.

In the interest of health and safety, I don't recommend putting in timber flooring inside your inflatable boat. Although it might seem like you can put timber flooring in, it's not been designed with that in mind. Should the timber floor exert unexpected pressure on the inside seams of the boat it will either create a tear or stretch the material creating a leak.

However, in regards to the usability of of MDF in water, I don't recommend it either as MDF does not react well when wet. When the surface of MDF gets wet it will become soggy and loose its structural integrity as it is only a compressed medium. A more suitable product would be pine panels, but it must be painted to prevent moisture damage. Please note that the shop saws only do straight cuts and does not do curves, angles or complex cuts.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects