Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix gap in paver under water tap?

Jen_Andrew
Just Starting Out

How to fix gap in paver under water tap?

image.jpg

image.jpg

There are bricks used as pavers in my garden and the ones under the water tap now have a gap between them where the water has eroded the previous filling away. I’m not sure what it is but I am guessing it is concrete that used to be there. How should I fix the gap? I want something that can better withstand water. Should I fill the gap with concrete? Or should I use something like a polyurethane sealant, or even filler foam and sealant like in this link? 

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/How-To/How-to-fill-a-joint-in-a-concrete-slab/ba-p/224897?sf...

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix gap in paver under water tap?

Hi @Jen_Andrew,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

You'll have to start by cleaning the area to remove the moss and any dirt that can affect the application of a product. This can be done with a pressure cleaner or with hot soapy water and a scrub brush.

Once cleaned, this will reveal what has been used between the old pavers. 

It is likely that the original material that was used was similar to this Paver Bond Polymeric Sand, which is a fine sand with a polymer additive so that it sets in place when wet. This sand typical lasts between 5-10 years before requiring a top up as erosion from water will occur over time. 

If you are looking for longevity, the Abelflex and Sikaflex 11FC that I have used in How to fill a joint in a concrete slab would be a good waterproof solution, but it may stick out when compared to the surrounding area. 

If I were to choose one or the other, in this application I would use the Abelflex and Sikaflex 11FC simply because it will last longer with water being poured over it regularly.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Awesome. Thanks for your reply JacobZ. I will try the Abeflex and Sikaflex 11FC. Do you need to wait until it is warmer conditions without rain before doing this?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jen_Andrew,

No need to worry about warmer temperatures, but it's best to do this when everything is dry.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects