Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What oil for a Teak table?

chickenhead
Getting Established

What oil for a Teak table?

Hi there! 

We bought a teak table which will be placed outside, what would the best oil/ sealant be for her? 

She will also be undercover with minimal direct sun. 

Link for reference: 

https://earlysettler.com.au/products/reclaimed-teak-cross-leg-dining-table-2600mm

Thank you 😊

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What oil for a Teak table?

Hi @chickenhead,

This Gilly's 1L Outdoor Furniture Alfresco Timber Oil would be my choice. Gilly's creates fantastic furniture oils that offer great protection while retaining the natural beauty of the timber. This product is stocked in most stores in a 250ml container, but looking at the size of the table, I'd suggest ordering the 1L version.

Another option that I think would look nice is this Feast Watson 2L Clear Outdoor Furniture Oil which will once again protect and bring out the natural beauty of the timber.

Before applying either product, ensure you give the table a thorough clean with mineral turpentine to remove any grease, grime or contaminants.

Allow me to tag @arfabuck to see if he has any other advice.

Jacob

Thank you SO much! Was there a particular brush I should use for the oil? 😊

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chickenhead,

I'd suggest using a soft, lint-free cloth such as these microfibre cleaning cloths.

Make sure to apply the oil in the direction of the wood grain and wipe away any excess to prevent build-up.

This will give you a finish that will bring out the timber's natural beauty and look fantastic for years to come.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks so much Jacob. Do you have any recommendations for a product like a sealant to protect the table against stains like wine rings? Or don't bother? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chickenhead 

If the table is properly oiled bottle stains should not be a problem as the stain won't sink into the fibres of the table. I don't recommend sealing it, just make sure to maintain the table and to oil the surface once a year or more if the surface starts to fade. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chickenhead
Getting Established

Legends as always. Thanks guys! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects