Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What fixings and drill bit to install a clothesline to a brick wall?

zookoo
Finding My Feet

What fixings and drill bit to install a clothesline to a brick wall?

Hi,

All the youtube videos I watched don't tell you what diametre the drillbit should be with the wall fixing.

I tried drilling a 10mm hole for a 10mm dynabolt, but it wouldn't fully insert. I tried to hammer it in but it would be stuck halfway.

What am I doing wrong?

Are dynabolts or screws better?

I'm thinking maybe I should use a screw to be safe, as they can be removed.

If I go with this option, do I need wall plugs?

What type of screw do I need if I require a 8mm? There are so many types of screws, its really confusing me.

Does the drill bit need to be 8mm in diametre also?

What diametre should the wall plug be? 8mm as well?

I've seen Ramset AnkaScrews, but they don't have a pointed end and they can't seem to fit through plugs if they're the same diametre.

I need help!!!

Thanks,

Sandra

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What fixings and drill bit to install a clothesline to a brick wall?

Hello @zookoo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about mounting your clothesline.

In order for us to give you a comprehensive recommendation, can you please tell us the brand and model of your clothesline? Once we know what kind of clothesline you have, we'll be able to recommend the correct fixings to use on your brick wall. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

I got the Hills Single folding clothesline:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hills-26m-woodland-grey-single-folding-clothesline-woodland-grey_p017005...

In the manual it says it comes with four M8x70 wall fixings, however it actually came with M10 wall fixings.

The manual must be wrong if they provided the wrong size. In the reviews, people had the same issue where it didn't come with the M8 wall fixings.

The manual says to drill a 10mm hole, but if the package hasn't provided me the correct wall fixings, I can't really trust it.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sandra

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zookoo,

I've contacted Hills and they've assured me that M8 Dynabolts should have been supplied in your kit. Perhaps M10's have made their way into your kit for some reason by mistake.

I can see the manual states it comes with M8 x 70mm Dynabolts and requires a 10mm hole. For M10 Dynabolts, it would be a 12mm hole, so what you're saying entirely makes sense with them not fitting.

If you can take a picture of the Dynabolt with a ruler or tape against it so we can verify to Hills that they've included the wrong 10mm fixings, that would assist in resolving this issue. I can also have Hills post you the M8 bolts that should have been included.

You could use the M10 Dynabolts, but I have concerns about whether they will fit the bracket correctly and allow you to tighten the nut. The brackets are fairly tight, even for the M8s.

Screw-wise, you could potentially use coach screws and Ramplugs. Ankascrews would also be an option, but I'd really like to resolve the issue for you so you can use the specified M8 Dynabolts. Using either of those options would require some testing. As mentioned the heads of the fixings are recessed in the bracket and it's quite a tight fit.

Obviously, having to wait for the correct fixings to be sent out is frustrating, and I apologise for this. The other option is to return the kit to the store and have a team member check another unit to ensure the correct M8 fixings have been included. If you are keen on that option, I can certainly call ahead to the store to get them to check the fixings first before you go in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you for looking into it Mitchell. I appreciate it!

If I used M8 screws as an alternative, would the ramplugs and hole need to be an M10 size too?
For the product, maybe I can return to the store and swap it for a new box and see if they include the M8 dynabolts.

Thank you!
Sandra

Also, if the dynabolt ends up being too loose in the hole, do I need to put some kind of glue or filler in?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zookoo,

If you go that route, I'd suggest trying the Ramset 10 x 80mm Galvanised Ultra Long Hex Head RamPlug. They come with the correct screw for that Ramplug. The hole for this 10mm Ramplug is 10mm.

It shouldn't be loose if you drill the correct-sized hole for that Dynabolt. If the Dynabolt is too loose for the hole, you should check that the correct-sized hole has been used and move location to drill fresh holes if needed.

Mitchell

Thank you for your help Mitchell! Much appreciated!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects