Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint options to protect wooden fence?

berserk
Finding My Feet

Paint options to protect wooden fence?

Hi Community,

I have a wooden fence around my house that I would like to protect from rain, termites and harsh weather of Melbourne.

Please advice me cheap and best solution that I can put on the fences. Do I need to buy paint, primer or some oil? (bit confused)

I am not fuss about beauty or specific colour scheme, I just need a solution that I can apply using brush/roller for overall outdoor wooden fence protection (I am not sure about type of wood used).

P_20240821_171550.jpg

Please provide specific product links is possible.

Thankyou,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint options to protect wooden fence

Hi @berserk,

Your fence is made from treated Pine, which is treated for decay and insects, and suitable for exposure to the elements. It should last for a decade, if not more. To preserve it further, it would be as easy as coating the fence on both sides with exterior timber oil. The option is there to use an exterior paint like Dulux Weathersheild if you'd prefer a colour. If you were to paint the fence I'd suggest purchasing a paint sprayer as it will make a breeze of the job. Here's a helpful guide: How to spray paint a fence.

You might like to check out this excellent project by @Jason: Fence rejuvenation by spray painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Paint options to protect wooden fence?

I would certainly recommend using paint @berserk and a low-cost sprayer makes the job quick and easy. The reason why colours like Monument and Domino are really popular for fence painting projects is they help make any greenery you plant in front of the fence really pop.

Check out more great examples in our collection of easy fence painting makeovers by community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects