Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

To render or to do a re-pointing of the bricks?

keliud
Finding My Feet

To render or to do a re-pointing of the bricks?

i have a wall where the mortar has come off and there are some cracks too.

as shown in the image attached. 

should i render the section and also the sides of the veranda. and then paint it. i will be repainting the whole house. or do re-pointing instead.

which is easier ? also i will be looking to paint the veranda a different color to the house to make it pop

PXL_20230429_033558794.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: To render or to do a re-pointing of the bricks?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @keliud. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of inspiration and advice from our wonderful members.  

We were discussing a similar topic recently on the site: Do you prefer render or cladding over brick? Have a look at the thoughts of some of our community members. 

Personally, I love brick homes and would always recommend people consider keeping brick exposed, but do check out what the Make It Happen team achieved using cladding on a typical dated suburban home.

Let me tag some members to share their thoughts with you: @redbournreno@2Belindas@diy_hausdesigns@Renowayoflife.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keliud 

Thanks for sharing your question about your brick wall. My vote goes to re-pointing the bricks, although it may be detailed work this type of repair will dry relatively quickly, and you can paint the brick surface much sooner.

The brick surface will allow it to blend in with house even if you paint it with a different colour. I understand that you want the veranda to stand out and that is definitely achievable, but what you don't want is for it to look out of place. An overly modern finish could contrast badly with the character of the house.

Would it be possible for you to post a larger photo of the front of the house even in its unfinished state? I'll be more than happy to do a quick photo manipulation for you so that you can see the difference between a rendered wall and a brick surface wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

PXL_20230429_033546641.jpg

 this is what the front looks like

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keliud,

Another vote for repointing from me here.

@EricL will be back on the site after the weekend, and I trust he'll be excited to put those manipulations together for you.

Mitchell 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keliud 

I've done a basic photo manipulation of the house so that you can see the difference between the brick wall rendered and not rendered. Please have a good look and tell me what you think. 

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

This looks good, Re-pointing it is, Now are there any tips on re-pointing? I was thinking of buying cement to do this because it is a big area and i want to go round the house and re-point various areas that need this.

Videos and suggestions would be helpful, I went my local bunnings for assistance but did the old go to isle 25 :smile:  The advice here so far has been awesome.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keliud 

I suggest using Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix as this is specifically designed for repointing brickwork. I also recommend using Spear & Jackson 150mm Pointing Trowel in combination with Hyde 13mm Tuck Pointing Trowel

My best advice is to make sure to mix the mortar quite thick as too much water will render it too soft and will prevent it from staying in its place. Remember to mix only the amount of mortar that you need for the amount of time that you have. Mixing the entire bag is not recommended as other matters might need your attention during the day and the remaining mortar mix will go hard.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects