Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Options for downpipes that have no drains

damian22
Getting Established

Options for downpipes that have no drains

Hi all, seeking some guidance on whether there is a DIY solution to be had here, or whether I'll need to call in a plumber or soakwell installer.

Our house is a basic rectangle and has six downpipes - one on each corner, plus another two roughly in the middle of each long side.

Unfortunately only two of these downpipes empty into a drain - the others drain onto the bare ground next to pine stumps, which isn't ideal.

I've attached some images to show the driveway side of the house:

Driveway side - front cornerDriveway side - front cornerDriveway side - back cornerDriveway side - back cornerDriveway side - middleDriveway side - middleDriveway side - overall viewDriveway side - overall view

The one downpipe that does empty into a drain sits about 10cm higher than the driveway - it's part of our rear patio.

And here are some images of the opposite side (which is a tighter space, alongside a fence, with air con units in the way):

Fence side - rear cornerFence side - rear cornerFence side - looking rear to frontFence side - looking rear to frontFence side - middleFence side - middleFence side - looking middle to frontFence side - looking middle to frontFence side - looking middle to rearFence side - looking middle to rearFence side - front cornerFence side - front corner

I'm not sure why that last one empties onto the earth rod, with what looks like an open drain hole 20cm to the right!

Thanks in advance - Damian

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Options for downpipes that have no drains

Hello @damian22 

Thanks for sharing your question about your downpipes. 

In this particular situation I suggest engaging the services of a plumber as they will be aware of the rules and regulations of the local council in your area. You'll also need the services of a plumber when it comes time to link the drains into your storm water drain.

In regards to your drains, I suggest thinking about using Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel in combination with Everhard 325mm Series 300 Shallow Stormwater Pit. This will save you from having to dig deep channels to install storm water pipes. Plus, it is much easier to maintain and remove blockages. I suggest speaking to your plumber regarding this option. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @damian22 

Love stormwater :smile: strange but true. 

As @EricL has said there are differenat rules for different staes about stormwater and who is allowed to touch them.

In NSW as far as I have been told by a plumber we are allowed (I am not a plumber :smile: )

I would still suggest to have a plumber come out and have a look, to verify if the existing stormwater pipes are in good condition (Not squashed or have roots in them) Also to hit them up for where the piping likely runs.

Stormwater rectification stage 1 

Stormwater rectification stage 2 

Are my projects for my stormwater rectification. The pipes do not need to be super deep or have a super fall on them, tho for mine I just replaced and followed what was there before. The Downpipes that go nowhere for your place I would try and join them into your existing stormwater pipes (one reason for a plumber to have a look) I also went for the downpipe down to an open grill so there is a seperation for the leaves to get caught and blow away. (still yet to finish mine properly)

The earth post is for your house and really dont think the downpipe next to it is great (I had an old one next to mine as well so maybe it was a ruling years ago?)

Fence side rear corner is an interesting idea :smile: Not sure how good it is especially if the pipe is blocked and you wouldnt be able to tell as the water would flow out the holes? 

Do you know where the stormwater pipes exit onto the street or down your back yard?  I have a stormwater exit into the street gutter either side of the house so it was easyish to follow them back to the first downpipe.

I also like the idea of capturing and reusing the stormwater (just to throw that into the mix :smile: )

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @damian22  am going to keep this simple . . . . .  call a plumber.

Every photo you have provided are of downpipes not connected to the storm water system, which is going to cause more damage if left to any other form of professional repair. This can only legally done by a licensed plumber. I'm also concerned about the last photo which shows your house electrical earth stake not correctly installed. This should be rectified by a licensed electrician.

Can I ask if this is a recently purchased renovated house as these are all non-compliant works carried out by what I am guessing non-licence trades? In which case you have a legitimate claim against owner builder insurance (6yrs).

Regards, Nailbag

damian22
Getting Established

Hi @Nailbag, the house was substantially renovated by the most recent owners (we bought it in October last year) but they did mostly internal work. The roof was in a poor state and urgently needed replacing so we had that done by a roofing contractor last month, and the gutters and downpipes were replaced as part of that work. But they just did a like-for-like. The set-up now is the way it looked when we bought the place (we have a building report pointing out the issue with downpipes draining under the house). We're in WA.

damian22
Getting Established

Lots of good questions @Dave-1 and the fact I can't answer most of them indicates to me I should probably call a plumber as recommended!

We're in WA at the front of a subdivided block so the stormwater pipes could possibly exit onto the street - but I'm unsure.

There were definitely some interesting choices made by previous owners/tradies that we wouldn't have made (the earth post being one of them) but that's the joy of buying an existing home!

I thought long and hard about collecting the rainwater in a tank (I grew up on a property with one) but with our small garden and small block it just didn't make sense. We don't need much water for our lawn and plumbing the tank into the kitchen/bathroom/laundry would have created a lot of other extra headaches.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@damian22 

Crossing fingers the stormwater exits into the street. The more questions the easier the route forward so I think you are on the right path.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @damian22 I know in places like the NT and parts of FNQ downpipes and even guttering are not required due to the monsoonal rains that are so heavy that these are useless. From what I can research, this isn't the case in WA at least in the southern metro areas. 

If the requirement for connected stormwater (downpipes) is in your living area, I find it highly unusual the plumbers didn't advise on connecting them to the stormwater system. Any dealings I have had with plumbers on DIY/Owner-builder reno jobs will not touch and plumbing that doesn't comply with regs in fear of it coming back to bite them. This includes anything that would be considered "like for like". In your case, leaving downpipes not connected to the stormwater. When purchasing the property did you get a pre-purchase building inspection as the stormwater should have been flagged.

My recommendation would be to contact your local shire offices for building code requirements re: stormwater connections.

Do you know if the substantial renovations done by the previous owners as being done as "owner-builders"? If so, all plumbing and electrical work should have compliance certificates and building works ticked up by a building inspector. There is a requirement for the works to be covered by a 7yr insurance policy to the value of $20K for major works above a certain $value (each state is different) which is applied once the works have been completed at time of sale. Your conveyancer should be able to assist here. That are I would start.

regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects