Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need inspiration for outdoor feature wall

westcoastace
Just Starting Out

Need inspiration for outdoor feature wall

We have a large brick wall (2400x700) near our pool/ alfresco area - it’s a common wall with the neighbours garage wall but they’ve said we can do what we want with it. Need ideas! We’ve already replaced the colorbond fence next to it with Hamptons style fencing so will need to compliment that.

715667F6-6657-47E2-973D-ECE508721292.jpegFF386EA1-DC24-4692-B2EF-609B4CBFEA80.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need inspiration for outdoor feature wall

Hello @westcoastace 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about putting up a feature wall.

I suggest having a quick look at this featured project - Poolside fence makeover by @ProjectPete. This is a great way to cover up the brick wall and produce a natural timber look around your pool area. You can also paint it white so that it blends in with your fence. Another option is to use pine decking panel and install it uniformly to create a hotel resort style wall. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:   Top 10 most popular fence projects. 

The only other idea that comes to mind is to use tiles over the brick and create a mosaic that will possibly entertain the whole family.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @Adam_W and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @westcoastace 

Thats a nice canvas to work with!

Two ideas come immediately to mind -

2 x 1m Light Ivy Cloth Bamboo Expand Artificial Hedge These are sold at Bunnings

Now I wouldnt generally go for something like this but think that wall would look appealing covered in greenery. You could go for real stuff but unless you are an avid gardener it always seems to look dissheveled after awhile.

This part is what sold me in the blurb

• UV treated for the Australian sun
  • Easy installation
  • Expandable from 2m x 1m to 2.8m x 0.5m
  • 1 Year Warranty
Create a Private Oasis Anywhere with Our Expandable Bamboo Trellis & Cloth Fabric Leaves! Enjoy hassle-free maintenance and an instant touch of designer appeal with our UV-treated trellis, designed to withstand harsh Australian conditions.

Second idea -
To contine with the Hamptons theme,
This is a little harder but I am thinking of softening the brick wall itself with a calico look.
Paint the wall as is white.
Now picture this, Think a Couple of square frames of timber, maybe 1.5m by 1.5m (or divide up the length of the wall that you want)
These are covered in  Plain 150 cm Heavy Weight Calico Fabric Natural from Spotlight (There are other materials for outside it just depends on what you are looking for)
The Calico hangs on the wall not tightly but more hang then fixed. Then seperatly those 1.5m squares are fixed with a bolt to the vertical timbers you already have at the top (2.4m height) so that they can hang down verticaly against the wall when not needed and for parties they can be swung up and fixed in place with a couple of diagonal pieces of timber from the square frame down to 1/3 of the post against the wall. It will look like a car boot type mechanisim. 

The reason I only went with 1.5m squares was a weight to be lifted up, That size sounds managable for one person and if it fails then the whole lot of them wont go at one time. In summer the shade would be worth its weight in gold. The material I have on my outside umbrellas is a type of calico and has lasted years with no care.

Dave
Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @westcoastace 

Honestly the list is endless and all down to personal taste. I would recommend something that can be front or backlit with low-voltage lighting as that always makes a feature wall standout. Bunnings have a range of Coreten panels which look great, easy to install and suit backlighting.

Nailbag

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lots of possibilities @westcoastace.

Let me add some more inspiration to the mix:

And experienced community member @Adam_W shared a guide How to build timber screening that might be helpful.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects